Price check please :-) building multi dwellings WA

Discussion in 'Development' started by Big Daddy, 27th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

Hi All

Can anyone advise if these building prices are pretty close (3 storey walk up apartment near the city- no underground parking)

BUILD:
    High end 55sqm One bed , one bath with one above ground car bay = $210k each turnkey
    High end 75sqm Two bed , twobath with one above ground car bay = $230k each turnkey
    Contingency: 3%

SITE: 450m2 level
    Demo old house on 450sqm block (asbestos) = 35k
    Siteworks 15k

TITLES
    6x titles :15k total
    Headworks: 15k total
    WP Dome/Board : 5k total

HOLDING COSTS:
    Will calculate interest at 7.5% commercial

SELLING COSTS:
    2-2.5% agents fees plus 1.5k settlement per unit

Many Thanks!!!!

2. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Construction looks to be in the ballpark, assuming it's a regular shaped flat site etc. What about professional fees? Architect/designer, engineers (including acoustic if it's in vincent), you'll probably need a fire engineer to provide alternative solutions due to tight site etc.

3% contingency is pretty low, I'd be allowing for higher. How high depends on your experience and how close you think your feaso is. Also budget for renders etc if selling OTP or staging, marketing costs etc if you're waiting til the end.

3. Big Daddy

Great Thanks Sanj. yes rectangular site in Vincent I forgot a few things.

Shall i budget 2.5k per apartment for DA plans? If so, also how much for working drawings?

How much should i budget for a Sound Attenuation: Noise Report? and also for a fire engineer?

I shouldnt need a Hydraulics engineer (no lift) and the structural engineer fees are prob part of the working drawing fees. I will change contingency to 5%

4. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

Vincent's acoustic report is nuts. Mention to your acoustic engineer it's for the City of Vincent, watch the price change.

$2500 per apartment is about right for a smaller job, but will only cover your DA - Docs will be on top of that at about the same rate. And that's for something basic, which may or may not get thru DAC okay. You've really got to spend some good money for a good outcome at Vincent - which is actually reflected at the back end come sales time, so not like it's money in a hole or anything. If it's a corner site or needs sensitive addressing issues - again, price for design will probably change accordingly.

Structural eng about $6k; same for fire, I would have thought - could do a Type C to keep construction costs down but will be a deemed to comply proposal in front of DFES - so add some time.

5. Big Daddy

Hi Aaron, can you give me a rough estimate for the price of an acoustic report?

Does anyone also know where i can lookup or purchase council drainage maps? I cant see an overlay on intramaps.
    I received this one from a Vincent TP today for the site (which looks bad) but i would rather generate these myself instead of callling them every time

Attached Files:

6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

My Sound Attenuation Report I had done last month cost $3800. Very thorough piece of work and they have dealt with Vincent before so said it would comply with their standards.

If you are looking at Lord St watch out for the road widening easement on the block.

Use Dial Before you Dig to get the sewer lines but if there is a rear laneway I'll put 50c it runs along that.

I'd throw in $5k for FESA, some more for headworks/western power and $10k for design.

Allow 6mths at least to get DA.

7. Big Daddy

Thanks. These estimates are very helpful.

Also did you see the image above? I have never checked council drainage for any DD but now i will. Theres a big drain running through it which must be encased. No idea of the cost. Im not even sure where i can find this info since its not on 1100.com.au or intramaps

8. sanj

i just checked, mine were done a while ago (October 2013) but for vincent it was $5500 and bayswater $1100 as it's a lot less stringent. so myf's price above is about right. might was also more stringent due to the train station being nearby, vincent wanted results of that noise too. I used herring storrer, they're not the cheapest but theyre experienced and will get in done in decent time.

Fire engineer - keep in mind you'll have to budget for not only their services but also for whatever their alternative solutions are. you might need to do some high boundary brick walls, you might need to do crimsafe, all sorts. either way it's going to cost money

design and documentation of $10k is pretty light on for 4 apartments, certainly if you want someone good. not impossible but i think you'll end up paying more or possibly compromising on the quality of the designer if you only spend 10k. keep in mind it's vincent so there's bound to be DAC submissions, revisions etc and this is after youve done the same with planning.

best of luck with the project. i just finished a project on west pde too and have done another in that pocket in the past.

9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Whoa what the **** is that? I'm not 100% sure on how much encasing costs but I think it's not waaayyyy out there. Maybe $20k?

10. sanj

I've had to do it in the past, I'll try to dig up the cost. Can get pricy

11. Big Daddy

Thanks, just need a rough price/sqm and if there are any additional costs? eg increased builders costs due to piles? or anything else needed to build above an encased sewer

12. Aaron Sice

I was doing a job on West Parade (Guildford Rd end) and it wasn't until applying for demo that the owners were made aware of a very old City of Perth drain running right under the property.

7 apartments were planned over the top.

You don't have to encase it - just avoid building around it to standard Water Corp requirements - so put a courtyard / carbay over it.

13. Aaron Sice

wasn't it near-on $40k for 20 lineal meters? a lot of excavation in that, though.