Pre-purchase inspection in Melbourne

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Andy909, 23rd Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Andy909

Andy909 Active Member

Hi, I am planning to bid a property at auction in Northern suburbs of Melbourne. I am seeking forum members assistance in getting a referral to a pre purchase property inspector. could you please guide me to right direction as I am based out of Sydney and do not have local contacts and not keen to use hipages etc.

Regards
    Andy

2. Jennifer S.

Jennifer S. New Member

Hello, I usually refer my clients to Australian Property & Building Inspections - Australian Property & Building Inspections | 1300 657 546 Ph: 1300 657 546. They charge approx $330. If you require someone to look over the Contract before you purchase it also, I am a licensed conveyancer (16 years exp) and offer complimentary Contract Reviews.

Andy909 likes this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

We've used Archicentre.

The Y-man

Andy909 likes this.
  4. kaibo

kaibo Well-Known Member

make sure you find out whether the reserve is in the range first as don't want to waste that money. In this softer market you can be direct to the agent and say "Is the reserve going to be in the range? and please confirm with landlord that I will only get an inspection done if that is the case as that's how far my budget goes"

Archicentre are a bit pricier have used them before and pretty standard

Andy909 likes this.
  5. Andy909

Andy909 Active Member

thanks for your suggestion @Jennifer S. @The Y-man and @kaibo .

I have been unsuccessful at auction so paying for an inspection for every auction seems not a great idea when the purchase is more for land than the building. I have a friend in Melbourne who has agreed to go for an inspection.

I would like to know from experienced buyers who have bought at an auction regarding any residual risk of not performing an inspection through a building inspector when:
    1. Buyer is making purchase decision based on the land value
    2. Buyer intends to demolish the property within 6 months-1 year for subdivision
    3. Buyer has done inspection (through a friend) and is overall recommended
    4. Buyer has checked sewer lines, easements and other overlays risks and is negative
    5. Buyer had chat with Council to understand other risk and is negative
    6. Buyer has confirmed the property was owner occupied until last week