pre purchase home property inspection

Discussion in 'Property Experts' started by Ziffle, 30th Dec, 2023.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ziffle

Ziffle New Member

We have a pre purchase property inspection done prior to purchasing a residence in Timboon Vic. The inspector found 1 major safety easy fix and 3 minors 2 easy fix repaint lintels etc 3rd one he noted mould several places subfloor and internal and recommended that we clear garden bed from front of house to give better ventilation to clear problem. We have had builders plumbers and a microbiologist do tests . House has been built with approx. 1/4 of required subfloor vents , also as we are on lower side of hill water runs down our drive, also through our neighbours and finish's in front of house. So the inspector has failed to note insufficient vents installed and he commented drainage looks adequate he is the trade that has stated his existing drain too small and nothing capture water around house. He failed to notice grey water line running down slope towards creek, part of boundary fence missing comment house in middle large block , is in top corner of 8.5 acre block. Unfortunally we could only do the one visit as lived 6hours away and I was not long out of hospital with back problems so travelling not suited. We paid reasonable money for inspection not only have we been let down but find the industry is not regulated not a lot of training required to be the inspector . Our only avenue so far is legal spent $20k tell us need another $80k to get through court. Desperate for ideas to sort with out the large costs.

2. sydney sid

sydney sid Well-Known Member

Speaking only of the under house ventilation. There's little fans you can buy for a few hundred dollars. These were recommended by the guy who did my building and pest inspection. I'm just wondering if these might be easily and inexpensively fixed. I don't know.

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

You spent 20k on legals already? I can't help thinking a lot of problems could have been fixed already with that amount....

As you are probably discovering, many building inspectors are "all care no responsiblity" contracts (sorry I know this won't help you) :(

I am assuming you did not use one from Archicentre or some other association?

The Y-man

4. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

Question - what is the outcome you are expecting to achieve?

Remember that you cannot apply current building standards to old buildings - said in regard to underfloor ventilation in your case. I suspect that putting in appropriate external drainage to divert water from being able to penetrate the underfloor will solve your problem.

5. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

What is the cost of rectification(s) ?

As an aside I wouldnt expect a HOUSE P&B to make commentary othe fending on an 8.5 acre property, unless there was a specific request and adjuste payment to do so ?

What was the cost of the inspection please ?

ta
    rolf