pre nups or binding financial agreements

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by lightbulbmoment, 31st Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

From the time I sat in and listened to a senior lawyer explain this, the partner who has just been lazy and not worked would be looked at differently to the partner who has stayed home with kids.
    As a woman, I don't know even one woman who is not working full time or working part time, either with kids or without kids.

I don't know one woman who has been a stay at home wife. I'd be interested to know how many women out there, without children, are just sitting around being lazy?

I've just thought some more, and I do know some women who have had kids and not gone back to work. I'm one of them. I didn't go back to work until my youngest was 14. But I painted houses, renovated houses, was the force behind what we have accumulated. Hubby was the one working, but he has many times said that without me, he would have one house and one car.

I would also add that when I was "not working" I was making lunches, dinners, loads of washing daily, most of the housework, clean and maintain the pool. It's not really a case of sitting watching the telly. In fact, I never turned it on. I didn't really have time.

But before long someone will come along and suggest women at home with children sit and drink lattes all day :rolleyes:

Last edited: 1st Aug, 2015
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

s 79 family law act.

3. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

I'm curious, would you be able to give some hypothetical scenarios?

E.g. "love made me blind to the mooching" vs. "he / she wanted to focus on painting / life ambition / hobbies" vs. "couldn't hold down a job for more than 2 mins before getting fired" etc.

Last edited: 1st Aug, 2015
  4. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

Which is really fine for the lawyer coz even if they are negligent good luck on finding one of their own to take them thru the system, it's a " boys club" bit like the pollies and their travel perks neither party are going to push too hard cos they all rort the system.

5. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

So the rule of "I have lived with you for this long so I can start taking stuff off you" is it 2 years,6 months, ten years?? This is with no kids.

6. jaybean

There is no hard and fast rule by the sounds of it. It seems to be at the discretion of a judge, unless it's agreed by the couple before it hits family court.

7. Terry_w

Not so. Lawyers are sued every day of the week. If a lawyer is sued they cannot defend themselves either as the insurer will take over and litigate or settle on the behalf of the lawyer. I can cite cases such as Gadens Lawyers Sydney Pty Ltd v Symond [2015] NSWCA 50
    Aussie John sued his lawyers over tax advice
    Perpetual Trustee Company Limited v Stojcevski [2014] NSWSC 1718 .
    husband alleged solicitor breached retainer and was negligent in failing to
    require him to obtain separate legal advice and failing to explain
    transaction documents to him

8. jaybean

I know people who are earning a lot and their partners mooch off them big time. Shopping etc. Love can make people blind:)

9. Terry_w

10. jaybean

11. Terry_w

Shows up fine for me.

Here is ss 4
    (4) In considering what order (if any) should be made under this section in property settlement proceedings, the court shall take into account:

(a) the financial contribution made directly or indirectly by or on behalf of a party to the marriage or a child of the marriage to the acquisition, conservation or improvement of any of the property of the parties to the marriage or either of them, or otherwise in relation to any of that last-mentioned property, whether or not that last-mentioned property has, since the making of the contribution, ceased to be the property of the parties to the marriage or either of them; and

(b) the contribution (other than a financial contribution) made directly or indirectly by or on behalf of a party to the marriage or a child of the marriage to the acquisition, conservation or improvement of any of the property of the parties to the marriage or either of them, or otherwise in relation to any of that last-mentioned property, whether or not that last-mentioned property has, since the making of the contribution, ceased to be the property of the parties to the marriage or either of them; and

(c) the contribution made by a party to the marriage to the welfare of the family constituted by the parties to the marriage and any children of the marriage, including any contribution made in the capacity of homemaker or parent; and

(d) the effect of any proposed order upon the earning capacity of either party to the marriage; and

(e) the matters referred to in subsection 75(2) so far as they are relevant; and

(f) any other order made under this Act affecting a party to the marriage or a child of the marriage; and

(g) any child support under the Child Support (Assessment) Act 1989 that a party to the marriage has provided, is to provide, or might be liable to provide in the future, for a child of the marriage.

12. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Terry_w likes this.