Pre-approval question

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Melbourne_guy, 5th Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Melbourne_guy

Melbourne_guy Well-Known Member

I'm mildly interested in an apartment as a PPOR that is up for auction in about 4 weeks. The REA guide price indicates they are looking for Feb 20 and pre-COVID-19 prices and in this current environment, I am not going to go there but could do something at the bottom end of the guide price if there was little interest in it. Having a decent deposit and secure employment (as far as it ever can be) I'm not expecting issues obtaining a mortgage or loan.

To those more knowledgeable than I in such matters
    A. Should I apply for pre-approval now even although it is by no means certain if I will proceed?
    B. Will the pre-approval application have any negative impact upon my credit rating?

As background info, last year I allowed two pre-approvals lapse with U-Bank. The first time I just missed a property and second time around, nothing of interest arose and since then, I haven't been interested looking.

Last edited: 5th Jun, 2020
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

1. It will depend on how strong a borrower you would be. Safer to get a pre-app with auctions.
    2. Not really, but you wouldn't want too many credit hits

3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

If the lvr is below 80 %, a dead enquiry on on your file usually wont hurt you.

Having said that, youd want to make sure the property is suitable security, and get a current copy of the borrowers credit file

ta

rolf

4. Melbourne_guy

Melbourne_guy Well-Known Member

Thanks fpr the responses.
    The LVR isn't an issue because I have a very decent deposit but finding the right apartment property for a PPOR is the difficult part. What will retain my interest in this current property is if I receive previous from the REA, the Owners Corporation AGM Minutes going back a few more years that report minimal damage of the building and reasonable maintenance costs. Not sure I'll receive them but I'll be patient.