PPoR to IP?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by House, 17th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. House

House Well-Known Member

So looks like my partner and I will be going down the PPoR first route and have found something we're both very keen on. The house has a granny flat so we plan to move in there after 3-4 months (?) to take advantage of the FHO stamp duty concessions (save $20k) and then rent out the front house which would cover 95%+ of the mortgage.

We'll be using 100% offset and the 55 day interest free credit card strategy and do plan on buying at least 2 more IP's so wondering if there's anything I need to think about structure wise as we'll potentially be signing in both our names for the PPoR. Trying to be as tax effective as possible!

Also, is there much we could do with the floorplan to add value? Trying to configure it as a 4 bedroom so thinking of turning the lounge into a fourth bedroom with ensuite and then adding bathroom and toilet to the right of Bedroom 1 so the family/dining can be opened up into a nice large area if structurally doable. Not particularly creative so that's all I could think of :)

House2.jpeg

Sackie likes this.
  2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Consider purchasing in one name only for future spousal transfer strategy and other strategies.

Split the loan into 2 portions so relating to each part.

Consider splitting into multiple splits now so you can recycle debt.

Avoid LMI if possible while borrowing as much as you can.

House and Wiz of Aus like this.