PPOR renovation...on the cheap

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Lacrim, 24th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

OK guys, I'm an experienced renovator (or marshall-er of trades) having done a few IPs in the past.

This is the first time I'm attempting an IP to very soon-to-be PPOR reno. Wife's on steroids suggesting xyz improvements worthy of a king but the tight arse in me is falling back on my cheap arse reno smoke and mirrors bling techniques.

So....first cab off the rank in the looong list of requests is a kitchen reno.

I can't (won't) spend a fortune so have to be as creative as possible getting the look by using (exploiting) tradies who aren't used to doing such quality work. Our tastes have always been champagne but on a beer budget. Sadly, with the APRA changes, that beer budget's been whittled down to cordial.

We like this kitchen counter frame....can a half decent chippie whip something up that looks half similar?

2 stewart balmain 10 kitchen.jpg 2 stewart balmain kitchen.jpg

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I reckon if there are no drawers in it you could get it done pretty cheaply. Aside from the funny angles, love that kitchen/house! But would not want a running kid to smack into that corner!

qak likes this.
  3. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

No drawers...and in all honesty, our requirements will be a lot less complicated than that angular kitchen. ...so in essence the carpenter needs to build a frame and lip around the existing kitchen bench.

The lip will hide a lot of the crap aesthetically wise plus I don't think kitchen islands with an infinity edge are very practical fro day to day use and clutter. Prefer a backing like a wall....or a lip.

4. R.C.

R.C. Well-Known Member

More of a job for a skilled cabinet maker with the right machinery, rather than a general chippy using hand tools.

Price will vary immensely. Look around for someone with low overheads, a single tradesman or father & son concern working out of an industrial unit, in preference to a fancy kitchen place with an impressive showroom and sales consultants.

TSK likes this.
  5. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

I agree, needs to be sharper.

Codie, Lacrim and Joynz like this.
  6. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Are you insane? You want to do a tight*rse reno like you’d do on an IP and then move into it as a PPOR with your Mrs (when, to use your own words, she’s on steroids)? What’s your marriage worth? Don’t be a tight*rse with what your wife wants or things won’t be going well for you.

Tim86, Marg4000, DoubleD and 2 others like this.
  7. Sasim

Sasim Well-Known Member

@Lacrim I totally understand wanting to do things "cheaper", I am both the wife that wants all the nice stuff and the tight ar*e in the family. To me, it just sounds like more research is required to get the finish you want for the price you want.

However just keep in mind the first rule of real estate... "happy wife happy life" ;)

Love the concept photo- stunning!

qak and Propertunity like this.
  8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

You can't take the money with you. Build the wife her dream place.

Propertunity likes this.
  9. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

It's actually from a house in Balmain in Sydney (architect's)

10. Sasim

Sasim Well-Known Member

Of course, it would be :)

Hopefully, this pic uploads ok. This one has been in my house p*rn folder for a long time. Of course - this was the builder's own home.

Attached Files:

bob shovel and Lacrim like this.
  11. boeman

boeman Well-Known Member

In my experience, no.

Best thing for cheap would be framing a box and lining with WBP (ply) that would be kinda similar, but architectural houses are just a different kettle of fish with a level of finish that attracts and eye watering price for all the fancy things people like unfortunately.

12. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

That's what I was thinking too - the frame if done well (enough) would hide the less expensive elements of the kitchen.

13. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I like it but not sure if there is a different material used around the sink and major wet areas.

You could build it out of marine grade ply and get a similar look but I'm just not sure how well it would stand up to wear and tear. In the end it might look tatty and have to be redone so there would be no saving.

Wood grained laminates might be a better chose with ABS edging - just try not to chip the ABS edge. The new textured ranges of Ravine by Laminex and Riven by Polytec give a very realistic hard wearing look.

Go to a smaller cabinet maker who has no show rooms, receptionists and drives a crap car. He'll be the one :)

14. robboat

robboat Well-Known Member

Its a hollow triangle so the frame should be easy to make from good structural pine - no drawers is a bonus.
    The hard thinking part is trying to get the "wow" finish...;)

15. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

That looks easy enough.

But its different. And different = expensive if paying tradies. They just want simple run of the mill jobs that they can smash out and make some money on.

Good luck wirh it.