NSW PPOR or Investment Property

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Leesa, 8th Oct, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Leesa

Leesa Member

Hi Members,
    We are a family of 4 and moved to sydney from overseas couple of yrs ago.
    Currently owning a 2bhk apartment(old one, needs a lot of maintenance) in Sydney Inner-west.
    Both of us work in CBD.
    I am unsure of which idea is the best in current market situations. Need your guidance.
    Idea 1:
    Rent the existing apartment and Move to a bigger house in nsw within 35-40kms radius from CBD
    (3+ bed, 2+bath, 1+ parking, min land 500sqm)
    Budget is 750- 850k.
    1. Looking for family oriented suburb with good school. Any suggestions please.
    2. Is it a good option to hire a buyers agent with this budget. Any suggestions for independent buyers agent in sydney?

Idea2:
    Stay in the existing apartment/Rent a house near to work and good schools.
    Start investment portfolio with the help of reliable buyers agent.

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Hi Leesa

Like Homebush - grew up there.

Not enough data to really provide much guidance per se.

Lets start with - do you have much of a loan on the Unit pls ?

ta
    rolf

3. The.Night.King

The.Night.King Well-Known Member

my thoughts if it was me.

Idea 1:
    will I be positively cash flow if I rent the apartment? if yes, thats OK. If NO, what's the point of renting it out just to move to a further location? Considering I will be borrowing the money to purchase the new house this will be additional burden to me if rental is in negative cashflow plus

If I ended up buying far from the CBD (35-40kms) im thinking Holsworthy, Liverpool, Do I see myself travelling 2 hours everyday going to work and back? that would really suck ( who's taking care of my kids while Im at work? Childcare? how much are childcare fees these days? I remember it to be $100 a day years ago) Honestly this lifestyle is tough. Its doable BUT TOUGH. Prepare for it if you choose this.

Idea 2: If it was me I would choose this. Rentvesting is a great strategy + starting your Investment journey now done the right way can put you guys in a much better options in the near future.

I will use a BA if it was me ( for IP purchase )

Goodluck!

Leesa likes this.