NSW PPOR North West Sydney

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by mpty, 10th Sep, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. mpty

mpty Active Member

This will be my third residential property purchase in Sydney. This is likely to be our home for at least 10 years where the kids will finish primary and high school. Budget is around 1.4.

I quite like the Hills District suburbs of Castle Hill (streets further away from the shopping centre and those within short driving distance to showground station. Also some Oakhill streets in the Cherrybrook Tech Catchment). Also older streets and homes in Bella Vista look interesting.

However, I have heard some stories about planned over development in Castle Hill and drug problems in the Hills high schools.

I would like to hear opinion of those who have researched the areas or live in the area or have invested there.

2. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

Some Problems are pronounced as there are so many GREAT schools that those sending their kids to the one and only normal school, wonder why their kids don’t get the same marks as those from nearby selective and high achieving schools. But If the best kids go to the best schools then the one normal school looks very average having the lowest percentile kids at that school. So the parents blame it on everything, like drugs, teachers etc, in truth the hills is no different to any other middle class area.
    Overdevelopment Within the suburb means that houses go up in value and appartments will stagnate in value comparatively. I live in a multi million dollar home walk to the shopping centre on 4,000 metres. I am in a dead end street 7 mins walk to the Metro.
    In return, buy where you feel happy, but I could a afford an eastern suburbs waterfront, but would never fit in with my 350 chev powered one tonner out the front And 600 horsepower Maloo in the garage. Again I have my family within 5kms and live 32 mins from the Opera house which I (used to) frequent.

Investor1234 likes this.
  3. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

this is the first time I have heard this. Castle Hill high is one of the best high schools in the state.

4. Monopoly Man in Top Hat

Monopoly Man in Top Hat Well-Known Member

Are you sure you're not thinking of Baulkham Hills High?

5. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Baulkham Hills High is selective, but i've heard Castle Hill High is really quite good too.

6. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

I grew up in the Hills and unless something has drastically changed, Castle Hill high school was definitely not the best high school in the state and was front row centre for the problems the OP was talking about! A few Catholic high schools in the area and Baulkham Hills High for selective, also Hills Grammar for private. Cherrybrook Tech is a great school but prices reflect this catchment.

It was an ok area to grow up in - nothing special - but after moving away and living elsewhere for almost 20 years afterwards, the differences are noticable. I would say it's just average, there are great areas that are quite affluent and there are bottom of the rung type areas with problems. It's definitely not a one-size-fits-all as with other areas of Sydney (good or bad). Would probably raise my kids there but I'd rather live in the better area of West Pennant Hills or north of the Towers.

There are plenty of great areas of Sydney for 1.4 if you're looking for family friendly. Not saying Castle Hill is a no-go, but unless you have a specific reason for moving there then you have options.

Cheers,

Andrew

7. hash_investor

I am pretty sure. I don't have any personal experience though. I have just seen some ranking websites and know some families who have moved into the area for this school specifically.

8. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

CHHS is in the top 10 government non selective schools.

2019 High School Rankings | Top 150 Schools in NSW

Throw in everyone else it ends up in the 80s.

There was some rumour a few years back about drugs in the toilets but I don't know the exact details.

A number if people will move into the area, along with cherrybrook to go to these schools.

Two years ago 400 kids (along with mine) applied for the year 7 gifted and talented classes.

MyPropertyPro likes this.
  9. hash_investor

didn't get that part

10. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

9th for government schools
    89th when you add selective government, private, catholic etc...

11. mpty

mpty Active Member

Thanks Andrew. What are some of the good Castle Hills areas in your opinion? Not too many properties in my price range available north of the towers...

I am interested in Castle Hill because of family and friends live within 10-15 minutes driving distance and it has a decent high school if my kids don't make it to the selective HS. I am open to suggestions on other suburbs except the east and south suburbs.

12. MyPropertyPro

It's been a while since I've lived there and some development has happened, but I believe the better areas are those that I've circled in the attached screenshot. Hope that helps :)

Attached Files:

13. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

Yes, but that’s also the more expensive area. They start from about $1.5 in that area. I don’t think there are worse areas of castle hill. The better areas are closer to the metro as they are bigger blocks.

14. Monopoly Man in Top Hat

Monopoly Man in Top Hat Well-Known Member

Or buy a nicer house on a larger plot of land a bit further out and spend the savings on Hills Grammar.

MyPropertyPro likes this.
  15. MyPropertyPro

Probably depends on your definition of 'worse' as there are definitely nice and nicer areas of Castle Hill.

For example, the part boxed with Excelsior, Ave, Blackett Dr and Roxborough Park Rd is not as nice by almost any definition (except demographic) than the area around Castlewood Drive. Yes, those areas I've circled are more expensive because they are more desirable - bigger lots, nicer houses. Check google street view in both of those parts and you'll see it immediately. Does that make those other areas 'worse'? See first line of this post :D

16. devank

devank Well-Known Member

upload_2020-9-20_11-14-19.png
    Academically, the top non-selective Gov school is ranked 67th.
    Is it better to
    - live somewhere close to where your family connections are located
    - spend extra money on extra studies (I'm sure many will say no no no here :) )
    - get them into one of the selective school ranked better than 67th
    ?
    Life would be tough at top 10 selective schools, but anything after that should be ok. They will reach international standards (academically), but also they will have some sort of normal happy childhood.

Last edited: 20th Sep, 2020
  17. hash_investor

why do you think a private school life is not somehow normal childhood?

18. devank

devank Well-Known Member

I didn't think that at all. I was talking about the top selective school kids. As much as I appreciate their commitment, it is a tough life.

19. Buynow

Buynow Well-Known Member

My eldest daughter goes to one of these; she has a normal life, plays lots of sport, sees her friends etc. Definitely not a tough life

Tyla likes this.
  20. gnome

gnome Member

I walked around castle hill the other weekend near the metro, there seems to be an abundant supply of townhouses and apartments in the area. So def house and land will be a better bet than the townhouses, and darn reno'd townhouses are going for a mil+ ! Reg drug probs, I know families who send their kids to castle hill and also to william clarke - no such issues.