PPOR Kitchens

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Jess Peletier, 29th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Best sink I ever had was in the PPOR I did my first DIY reno on in the 90s. It was a double sink and bench all in one seamless piece that I had made by people who did commercial kitchens. I measured the oven trays and made each sink wide and deep enough to fit the trays. It was fantastic. I found a few photos online, but this was the age before digital cameras so I don't have any myself.
    That reno was a long one. Check out the blue wall in the dining area. We had to get signwriter's paint to get that blue. I still have those yellow chairs.

. annandale9.jpg annandale10.jpg

craigc, EN710 and Westminster like this.
  2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I couldn't find a sink with drainer that was big enough for me so I'll go buy a drainer to sit next to it - something like this Howards Storage World | Joseph Joseph Expandable Dish Rack White

Both of these things were concerns but I think the first can be minimised by good installation and cleaning. The second can be minimised due to the size I have chosen as it's huge and there should be less bashing of the edges.

Jess Peletier likes this.
  3. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

@Westminster I had no idea those racks existed. Good thinking there!

Westminster likes this.
  4. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

If you can mitigate the drawbacks then that's great. I prefer to eliminate them altogether :)

(not my kitchen, but this is the style of sink we'll get)
    ss (2017-06-09 at 11.15.50).jpg

Lightning and Jess Peletier like this.
  5. Westminster

The blanco one can be mounted like that to solve that issue. It's still very neat and attractive. I am now trying to remember which way I requested it be installed - if my fear of the grunge in the join was big enough to make me go overmount.

6. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Whichever mount is chosen I think a big double sink is fundamentally sound... good accessories make it very usable. There's another draining tray one that I can't find a picture of atm.

ss (2017-06-09 at 11.23.28).jpg

7. Westminster

I love accessories @chylld :)

If anyone sees a hanging draining tray like this in your actual or online travels please let me know

[​IMG]

8. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Ooh that's nice, we want something similar too but not necessarily a hanging one... as long as it fits inside one sink then it'll do its job of hiding drying plateware. When both sinks are needed, it can simply be lifted up and placed on a draining tray next to the sink :)

Westminster likes this.
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm formulating a change to our kitchen and one thing that is top of the list is one huge sink. I'm tired of washing one end of a baking dish and then the other end. We have a larger than normal bowl already but our son's last two kitchens have a huge trough that fits anything.

I don't want undermount so I'll either go for a corian moulded all in one sink and bench with grooves to allow me to use one side as a drainer (which I'd miss if we didn't have one at all) or maybe stainless steel pressed all in one bench and sink. I love the industrial style but our house doesn't suit it, so likely we'll stick with moulded corian or quarts stone if we can get it combined with a bench top.

I thought I'd get this, but I really like the idea of having no join between sink edge and bench top.

790MM BLACK Granite/Quartz Stone kitchen sink BIG single bowl TOP/UNDER mount | eBay

The other things I'll ensure are catered for are vertical slots to hold trays and cutting boards, drawers everywhere (we've done this for past three kitchens - early adopters I believe), oven with second smaller oven that doubles as griller (as I don't like in-oven grillers), shallow pantries (ours is too deep and things get lost at the back, and I'm not a lover of the pull out types, they seem flimsy).

I'm also tossing up losing our gas hob for an induction. I'm going to try some cooking at my son's house to see how responsive it is. I love gas, and have always had it, but I'm so tired of the cleaning involved with a gas hob.

10. Westminster

I have 2 sinks. One in the island bench which if anyone uses for storing dirty/drying dishes will be shot on sight. Then one in the scullery next to the dishwasher which will be the ACTUAL sink.
    The one on the island bench is for filling up pots for cooking/source of water in the kitchen :p

Jess Peletier and dmb1978 like this.
  11. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

What about a low-divide sink?

ss (2017-06-09 at 12.23.20).jpg

melbournian and dmb1978 like this.
  12. Westminster

That's what sold me on the low divide. I can put the drainer inside either side for small jobs and for bigger wash take it out the drainer and use the whole area for my electric frypan and baking trays.

13. wylie

I like that idea, but the divide would annoy me. I've used my son's sink (that size without the divide) and initially I thought "what about washing something small" but a small dish or bowl sat in the sink for those times would solve that problem. The bigger problem for me, and one I struggle with several times a week, is washing something big and any divide would be an annoyance (for me anyway).

Westminster and Jess Peletier like this.
  14. Westminster

@wylie my pantry was sort of installed today and I have the same "issues" as you :) I loose stuff behind other stuff in my pantry and my added issue is that my 3 kids open the doors and lean on them staring into the abyss hoping something new and yummy will appear.

Basically I've gone with a bookcase :p. No doors, no pull outs and super functional. It will continue to the left over the bench

[​IMG]

Heinz57 likes this.
  15. Westminster

The wall side of the kitchen has gone into place too. I'm sooooo excited

[​IMG]

This is the left side of the scullery. Fridge then the appliances on the bench under the open shelve, then dishwasher, sink some bench and then the pantry shelves at the other end.

[​IMG]

16. wylie

I like that narrow pantry. Is that in view of the living area though? I'm guessing not.

My mother had a pantry cupboard built which was sort of at the end of her kitchen, forming part of a hallway, but still close enough that it was part of the kitchen (hard to describe).

It was planned to take a large dinner plate, so approx 40cm deep (maybe slightly less). It worked well. It was wide, maybe three double doors, and everything went in that cupboard. I have a narrow kitchen and one thing I'm considering is removing the cupboards on one side and making them 40cm deep to allow our narrow island bench to be wider.

17. Westminster

You're right - it's in the scullery so it's ok to not have doors and have all our food on display.

I think ours is that same depth, 40cm. It was designed to basically take things one row deep like cereal boxes etc. Tins etc can still go 3-4 deep but I want everything on hand/visible so that it doesn't become a tardis of lost food.

I like your idea of making one wall of your kitchen shallower - it really doesn't increase practicality to have them as deep as they are if nothing else needs to be that deep.

18. lightbulbmoment

lightbulbmoment Well-Known Member

This is my kitchen me and my mate built and designed. I still have to cornice and paint bulkhead, put trims around floor and do splash back which will be a carrara marble/ natural stone look in tile form. Splashback will extend all the way around to where plant is. My gf is very happy she has a draw for almost every item Screenshot_20170609-201211.png

Last edited: 9th Jun, 2017
  19. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

That bulkhead 'colour' actually works...

20. Westminster