PPOR > IP > Selling > how to calculate market value

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Ruckmauler, 8th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Ruckmauler

Ruckmauler Member

I converted my PPOR to an IP and am now thinking of selling the IP - but before I make a final decision I wanted to confirm something about determining the market value when the property became an IP.

Originally bought property in 2001 for $220,000
    Lived in as my PPOR until 2013 when it became an IP (at the time it was valued at $400,000)
    If I do sell this year, I will roughly expect a sale price of $570,000

I could obviously use the $400,000 as the market value and therefore a growth of $170,000 over 4 years. CGT $170,000 * 50% = $85,000.

But I also thought I had read 'somewhere' - that another option is to take the increase across the whole period of ownership - $350,000 - and then calculate the CGT amount based on the fraction of time it was an IP - total ownership was 17 years - $350,000 / 17 = $20,588 per year * 4 years as an IP = $82,352 * 50% = $41,176

So I would rather pay CGT of $41,176 than $85,000 - but am I talking nonsense.

2. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

must used market value when first used to produce income. in your case $400,000

you could also consider whether it is worth applying the 6 year main residence absence provisions but note any other property will then be subject to CGT. worth doing the sums.

craigc likes this.
  3. Ruckmauler

Ruckmauler Member

Thanks Mike for the response. I have read and thought about the 6 year main residence absence provisions but was thinking I might just be kicking the can down the road. I am solely on my other properties title - and the capital growth has been greater in the past 4 years (dollar wise) than the IP. I have read that in NSW I can transfer the title of our PPOR to my wife (low income) and not incur stamp duty - but would that then trigger a CGT event for me.