PPOR in Sydney 800-850k

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by leonard157, 3rd Feb, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. leonard157

leonard157 Active Member

Saw a few posts last year for 700-750k. Looks like it is the typical budget these days for new and young buyers. But people is still searching for house with land.

Just out of curious, how about 800-850k PPOR, not limited to "land" property?

I'm also starting to look into apartment, was looking for freestanding house 800k.

2. Basilplant88

Basilplant88 New Member

2 bedroom appartment within 10k radius from the city should not be a problem

from what i'm aware no chance on house + land

3. The_good_life

The_good_life Well-Known Member

mentorsaif and Lacrim like this.
  4. rksing

rksing Well-Known Member

For house and land maybe check out the southwest, Campbelltown region, something between Glenfield and Macarthur.

mentorsaif and Terry_w like this.
  5. leonard157

leonard157 Active Member

Sounds like a good choice. I haven't looked into this area, but I was looking around Carlingford - Denistone, thinking maybe if saving a bit more then can get something for 900k.

Exactly where I was looking at, but then if going for an apartment, there is a good chance to get one in better location, perhaps Rockdale Kogarah

John_BridgeToBricks likes this.
  6. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Can't go wrong with Seven Hills, Lalor Park and Seven Hills West.

That pocket ringed by Sunnyholt Rd, the M7, Prospect Hwy/Abbott Rd and the train line is a sure bet. Better than the SW IMHO and def a better LT proposition than an apartment in Rockdale, Kogarah etc.

Location, continuing gentrification, virtually no apartment blocks, KDRs and renos on older props = CG assured.

But the most important question you have to answer is...where do you WANT to live?

Last edited: 5th Feb, 2022
  7. rksing

rksing Well-Known Member

Yeah for sure. My suggestion was completely related to house and land option. With apartments all bets are off. For apartments you could also consider the inner west such as Ashfield, Summer Hill and a like.

8. Scottstots

Scottstots Well-Known Member

It sounds like you're referring to the music bowl side of Seven Hills. Interested in your view of houses a few streets over in between Johnson Ave, Solander Rd and Seven Hills Road? It sits behind the high school but is virtually Baulkham Hills as it's a 5 min drive over.

9. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

South West Sydney.
    Might get very small basic house on the Metro line currently being built. Although might be tough but I have seen such as battleax blocks.
    Otherwise places like Chester Hill - that has multiple train line options including earmarked for getting picked up by the future future line coming from Paramatta to Kogarah.

mentorsaif likes this.
  10. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Yep good pocket too....will only get better.

11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I would steer clear of buying anything with a 900k budget in these areas. Carlingford is generally not that convenient transportwise unless you buy something accessible to the M2 bus and there is nothing for a 900k budget in that area. Denistone is nice but for 900k, what would you buy. Can't afford a townhouse or duplex for that budget and there are better places to buy an apartment. (I don't even think Denistone has apartments)

12. Scottstots

Scottstots Well-Known Member

Yep you won't find anything freestanding for 900K in Carlingford. Townhouses are going for about $1.1 - $1.4mil depending on the size, location etc. In terms of transportation, it's not too bad if you have a car. Eastwood station is a short drive away and has plenty of trains into the CBD and there are a few buses around Carlingford that go to Parramatta.

You could easily afford an apartment with 900K in Carlingford, but in terms of CG it's very risky, there are a lot of new apartments still being built around Carlingford.

13. Eltara

Eltara New Member

I am a FHB that bought a PPOR in Bradbury, near Campbelltown. This was in March of this year, so not that long ago.

It is a 3 bedroom freestanding house on 600sqm and we paid 775K. We live right across the road from the local shops, so that would have increased the price a little, but you can find houses in this area for well under 800K (740-770K) if you go deeper into the suburbs. This area is great though, because it is peaceful but also close to all local amenities.

If your priority is a freestanding house and you wouldn't mind living a bit further out from the city, I would recommend looking around Campbelltown. However, as with any area, I would research the suburbs closely before buying. Some suburbs are nicer than others.

mentorsaif likes this.
  14. serendip

serendip Well-Known Member

You will also be able to get something for this price in Camden LGA. Either older, more established suburbs like Camden South (although a lot goes higher now) or in the newer subrubs like Oran Park or Spring Farm.

57 Bligh Avenue, Camden South NSW 2570 | Domain
    (this does back on to the creek which flooded twice earlier this year but I don't believe any of the houses were affected in this street, maybe some of the gardens)

41 Kingsman Avenue, Elderslie NSW 2570 | Domain
    (might need some new wallpaper!!)

8 Derbyshire Road, Spring Farm NSW 2570 | Domain
    (other side of Spring Farm is better if you can get it)

But I agree with some of the other comments. where do you want to live? What's more important - house or location? What are your medium term goals and which option will likely step you closer?

Last edited: 23rd May, 2022
  15. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Is this still in Sydney ? If you ever have reason to drive that far you will be asking yourself this. Focus on where first. Villa / townnhouse etc may be an alternative to apartment oversupply. Using Carlingford they are producing streets of those and the supply will be saturated a long time. There are towers planned on land already cleared but on hold for oversupply. Resale could be a issue let alone valuation effects.

John_BridgeToBricks likes this.
  16. Eltara

Eltara New Member

I think that this depends on your priorities. If you need access to the city (e.g for access to work), I totally think that buying further out would be irrational.

But for me (and many others), that mainly work from home, living in the city isn’t as important as having a larger living space.