VIC PPOR in Melbourne - $900K-$1.1M

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Candid John, 4th Jun, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Candid John

Candid John Member

Hi everyone, would love a bit of help trying to work out where to buy. Looking for a first home with my partner, budget is $900K to $1.1M, but would like to keep it closer to $900K. At the moment we're looking in a few different areas and need to narrow the search a little bit.

Our ideal requirements:
    • 3 BDR house with a yard (not townhouse), potential to add a bit of value but don't want to do a full reno.
    • Within walking distance of a train station, around 15km from the city or closer, and close to a nature area/parks.
    • Happy to find a neighbourhood that's not quite there yet but will get nicer in the next 5 years.
    • Good capital growth, 6% or more over next 10 years
    • Good government primary schools, no kids yet but planning to in the next couple of years.

Areas we're looking:
    Heidelberg Heights eg https://www.realestate.com.au/prope...ge=rea:buy:srp-map&sourceElement=listing-tile

Inner west: West Footscray, Sunshine, Kingsville, Yarraville eg https://www.realestate.com.au/prope...ge=rea:buy:srp-map&sourceElement=listing-tile

North: Reservoir, Fawkner, Pascoe Vale, Coburg North, Preston
    eg https://www.realestate.com.au/prope...ge=rea:buy:srp-map&sourceElement=listing-tile

Any thoughts or advice, other potential areas would be welcome, thanks!

2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

50 southern - you are paying a premium for the permit.

The Y-man

3. Candid John

Candid John Member

Yes, and we're not interested in adding in a townhouse at this stage. HH seems like it has potential to grow and improve though, so would be looking for somewhere closer to the Rosanna side

4. Candid John

Candid John Member

50 Southern sold for 1.23 at auction yesterday. Original ESR was 900-990

5. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

If kids and school are important, viewbank is probably your best bet, but will need to drive or catch bus to train station
    Something like this
    2 Bartram Rise, Viewbank, Vic 3084 https://www.realestate.com.au/sold/property-house-vic-viewbank-135803974
    I don't think there is anything in Melbourne in that price range that will meet all your criteria, so you will need to compromise on something

6. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

That`s a lot of suburbs, narrow down to what you really like and start networking with REAs and attend openings. Not an easy market to buy at the moment.

7. Sheshop

Sheshop Well-Known Member

Over a million for that no wonder so many people are moving to Qld.

8. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

9. Candid John

Candid John Member

Thanks for the suggestion. Yea the walking distance to a train station is a real limiter. Not sure how important that will be for my work, more just something good to have. But will definitely need to compromise in this market

10. Sheshop

Sheshop Well-Known Member

That's amazing growth.

I've never been to Melbourne so I'm not sure what the commute is like to the CBD but 19 km from the city in Brisbane could get you a lovely home with pool, yard, access to great schools etc for $1,070,000. I really live in a bubble.

11. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

Yet, Melbourne is cheap compared to Sydney. Similar house in equivalent Sydney suburb would be way more

12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Some of the Brisbane sales results don't seem to be much cheaper or different value than to listing (but I don't know this area, and I don't keep track of results in Brisbane except the area we invest in).