Potential tennant - opinion

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by gach2, 22nd Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Notsure if there are any pms on here that give an opinion on a potential renter

single - 25 years
    Never rented (living with parents or PPOR)
    Formally employed - On unpaid leave
    Own properties (being rented - just negative cf)
    Have cash reserves around 10x total rental costs for 12 months

Property renting around $250-300pw in surfers paradise

Notsure about having no reference and being unpaid leave gonna work

thanks

2. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

As A start, have you asked your agent to check against 'formally employed' Employer?
    Where did they live before? Do they have water gas and electricity bills paid on time?

I hope this helps?

3. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

This is golden because the tenant has assets that can't be moved, and that judgments can be enforced against in a worst case scenario.

I would approve.

4. Pistonbroke

Pistonbroke Well-Known Member

Gotta love the 'living at home/never rented'. & the parental or family support as well as no income.

My previous experience with these is why are they being kicked out of home?

5. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

Do property search to confirm his ownership.

Contact employer for reference.

Esh likes this.
  6. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

^^ lived with parents then moved into their PPOR - (now become IP)

this is a potential me in a few months time
    just wondering how i would be treated in the rental world

7. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Do have the ability to purchase outright (cash) these properties - looks like not the best investment or part of my plan

8. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

I've rented to worse applicants than that. Provided they are employed I wouldn't have a problem with it.

9. Lil Skater

Lil Skater Well-Known Member

I'd want to know why they're on leave, how long and how long they've been in their employment.

If they've got cash though, that's a good start.

Not knowing anything else, I'd consider it - but maybe look at starting with a shorter lease term.

10. Starbright

Starbright Well-Known Member

I previously rented to a family with no rent history or references. They were new migrants, and we're willing to pay 12 months rent upfront. Maybe can ask the question if she has that amount in cash?

11. Kael

Kael Well-Known Member

Some "never rented before" comments I see online sometimes reminds me of the "Experience Required" when applying for entry-level jobs... How does one get that experience (or in this case, rental history) without doing it! :p

Only questions I'd be asking the PM would be:
    1. How long has he/she been employed with that employer?
    2. How long are they expected to be on unpaid leave for? Will they be returning to work soon or changing to paid leave?
    3. Did the PM check their references and if they have none, why do they have no references?
    Awesome that he/she has an investment property... but as you mentioned, it's CF negative. If they are on unpaid leave right now, or worse yet, they quit or become unemployed in the future, how will they be able to pay for your rent while also paying for the IP mortgage?

12. Esh

Esh Well-Known Member

well looks like making the rental payments wont be a problem for now. What did they present like? The PM would have met them, ask what vibe they got off them? Has it been on the market long? Wish you all the best, hope it gets leased out soon (to a good tenant)

13. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

In the past my PMs have contact employers and discussed the person. In my experience, this has been a reliable way of gauging the quality of tenants. I can't guarentee it as a strategy of course.

14. Kael

Kael Well-Known Member

My PM's do that too but I think it's important that they relay what they've found out to the landlord. I'm not sure if the OP's PM did that.

Lil Skater and Perthguy like this.
  15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah, you would need the PM to clarify why they're are on unpaid leave and if they definitely have a job to go back to. Is it voluntary or disciplinary?

16. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Yes, why unpaid leave at 25? Sounds strange unless they are studying fulltime for a semester etc. Maybe just look for a little more information, they have plenty of funds so that shouldn't be a problem.

17. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

Sorry if I have confused some of you guys but the potential tenant is myself. I am planning on renting in October and just wanted some feedback.

Reason for leave was to move interstate for a break of 6 months (I dont believe 6 months is an issue for rentals of studios/1 bedders). Also to work on my portfolio in QLD.

I lived with my parents till i was 23 (If i moved out at 18, id be on ACA/Today Tonight/ Newspapers whinging like a baby that i never will be able to afford a house in Sydney) - moved into PPOR till now (though i still spend most of time at my parents - prefer family lol).

Looks like its quiet 50/50 on whether im ok or not

Since posting have found out one of the selling agent (also principal of his little agency) i have dealt with, does get a limited amount of potential suitable properties for rent. If i have a hard time maybe i should start liaising with selling agents (for references) if the PMs do not take me seriously.

Usually do not get taken serious by selling agents either until contracts/offers/purchases are made.

Lil Skater likes this.
  18. Samten

Samten Well-Known Member

Classic, how we read things and make assumptions, everyone has read this as you having a tennant applying:D

Perthguy likes this.
  19. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

did mention it a few posts down but it was a little message so yea can see how it could have been missed

20. gach2

gach2 Well-Known Member

but it shouldn't make a difference whether its me or anyone else in similar circumstances