Potential first IP, advice needed

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Tati, 15th Jul, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tati

Tati New Member

Hi All,

We are new to PI and wanted to get some of your thoughts on our situation. Currently have loan A of 370K (P&I) on PPOR which bank evaluated @ 600K. Our combined Gross annual income is 170K

Would like to use the available equity of 110K to fund an IP (2BD Townhouse) valued @ 450K (all costs inclusive).

Question/s on setting up the loan structure & Tax deductions, (both loans will be with same bank and aiming not to Cross-collaterise)

1. Loan (A) will come to 480K (P&I) with a linked 100% offset & new IP Loan (B) would be 340K (P&I as well). Is this sensible ?

2. Or should I have the IP loan to the max and use as much less equity as possible ?

Thank you !

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

1. No.
    2. Sounds like you misunderstand deductibility of interest.

Have a read of my tax tips.

3. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

You need to take a separate loan for $110k on your PPOR, which will be split from the existing $370k one. This means the interest will be deductible on all the funds borrowed for investment purposes.

Out of curiosity, what interest deduction were you planning to claim under the setup you proposed?

4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

I know thats not what you are asking, but with 370 k non ded debt and apparently middlish marginal tax rates, the IP side of the loans is just ONE equation for maximum tax efficiency.

Having a structure in place that allows Active and Ongoing Debt Recycling ( on a managed or DIY basis) will usually aid paying off that 370 k much more quickly

ta
    rolf

5. Tati

Tati New Member

@Terry_w

Did read your "Ideal Loan Structure" over the weekend. Priceless & Fantastic stuff. Thank you

Below is take 2 of my Option 1:

Loan (A) will be 370K (P&I) with a linked 100% offset. Loan B for 110k (P&I) LOC which is deposit for new IP and PPOR is security. Loan (C) would be 340K (P&I) and IP will be security.

Terry_w likes this.
  6. Tati

Tati New Member

Hi @marty998

For the 340K (loan C). I will miss out on the 110K. Does my take 2 put me in better tax deductible situation ?

7. Tati

Tati New Member

Thanks Rolf.

Still getting my head around various aspects of PI. May be I am asking the wrong questions but willing to learn.

8. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

This is probably in need of some updating as circumstances have changed dramatically since I wrote it.