Food & Dining Post your current coffee fix

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by DaveM, 10th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

It's the "iCoffee S-100CR" from South Korea, I bought it back in 2013 for $529. Picked this one for performance and also for the smoke removal element on the back which lets me roast indoors (other roasters will stink up your whole house.) Also it looks cool :)

Can't seem to find it for sale anywhere except for this one eBay listing which asks a whopping $669 shipped.

If you can't find one for a reasonable price, I could be tempted to let mine go as nowadays I vacuum-bag and freeze roasted coffee beans; seems to keep them good for months. Roaster was handy before that as green beans have a shelf life of around a year :) (plus it was fun mixing different ones together to create my own blends)

2. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

Favourite beans are Campos Organic blend. Favourite coffee establishments are Pride at Redfern. They make the best coffee I have ever had...and I drink a lot of it! My second option is Y2K at Mona Vale but I usually make my own at home with My Sunbeam. It's on it's way out but still makes a great coffee and I won't leave the house without having had my coffee!

D.T. likes this.
  3. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

True, but at least the quality is consistent. I use "Monjava" capsules from SA.
    I switched from the grinder/boiler setup to this because I had an infant in the house who refused to sleep. I needed coffee so badly, but couldn't use the grinder unless I took it outside to the shed.

I like "Hopper" here in Perth.

MTR likes this.
  4. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

no milk, sugar, flavors, nothing, just the coffee
    [​IMG]

Magnet, Bran, Phase2 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Player

Player Well-Known Member

Long blacks mostly for me; sometimes short; occasionally a Piccolo when I want a little milk.

My favourite brand

Merlo.png

Art Vandelay likes this.
  6. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

I went camping recently and was tempted to buy a 12v inverter so I could take my machine with me but settled on instant instead :( which, after being up till 2am taking astrophography pics then up again before sunrise, I was happy just to have caffeine of any sort no matter how bad it tasted.

Di Bella Coffee Online | Specialty Coffee are my beans of choice but have just discovered a cafe in Cairns that have Campos.....

7. househuntn

househuntn Well-Known Member

These days I normally go for Seven Seeds, Monk Bhodi Dharma or Cup of Truth.

8. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Same. Double espresso. Repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat.

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

...sugar? otherwise too bitter ?

10. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

No way! It's all about the coffee. E proprio quello il bello!

Art Vandelay, Player and MTR like this.
  11. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

No, I'm bitter and twisted - just like my coffee.

MTR likes this.
  12. Hedgy

Hedgy Well-Known Member

that machine looks very cool. i've got a lot of questions about this, but how does the cost of roasting your own beans compare to buying roasted beans? do you have to buy your unroasted beans in bulk? have you experimented with different roasts and blends?

13. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

There's a mountain of information over on the Coffee Snobs roasting subforum :)

CS also runs the BeanBay online shop which is where I bought my green beans from. $25 for 2.5kg of green beans which nets about 2kg of roasted beans, so about 4-5 times as economical as buying roasted. They keep for a long time so you only roast as much as you want each time.

I mostly used Brazil PN and Peru as they're the more "beginner-friendly" ones. Slightly different roasting profiles, so for my "blend" I roasted the Brazil to CS10 (Coffee Snobs colour scale in my photo) and the Peru to CS9, then mixed them together.

LibGS and Hedgy like this.
  14. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Anyone tried this?????:eek:

The world's most expensive coffee is $600 a pound.

And it comes from the feces of a Sumatran wild cat. The animal — called a Luwak — is unable to digest coffee beans. In the process of digesting the beans, they are fermented in the stomach. When the beans are excreted, they produce a smooth, chocolaty coffee.

15. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Yes, and if you go to Bali, go to the place where they don't cage the Luwak and instead have people go out to find the digested coffee beans (some place cage them and force feed them with coffee beans).

Btw, the coffee is very bitter!

16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Thanks, but after reading this I am not interested....

Bran likes this.
  17. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

Maybe they couldn't afford the cost of dialing the grind in :)

EN710 likes this.
  18. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

The place I visit in Bali also sell things other than Luwak coffee, gotta have a try when you're there tho ;)

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I wont travel to third world countries anymore for many reasons, cruelty to animals is one and then there is the hygiene aspect, just a personal choice.

EN710 likes this.
  20. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

I get roasted beans from CS. Espresso Wow has been my choice for the last few years. I make pretty nice shots in my Lelit espresso machine.