Post and Rail Fence with minimal slope

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by iwantahouse, 1st Jun, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. iwantahouse

iwantahouse Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I'm in a dilemma with an old post and rail fence that we decided to replace the low and rusted sheets.

Before I start, we have a new good neighbour fence on the other side of the backyard which is level.

The side we want to replace doesn't look like on level. My friend who is helping me says that we must follow the contour of the ground level but I insist on keeping the top of the fence straight. We are using post extensions from Stratco.

The level difference is not too much (about 30cm) and my idea is to keep the level straight on top and using longer sheets as we get close to the street which has a lower level.

I understand you always have to work taking in to account the ground level but I'm not too convinced on having a raked fence in my backyard considering that we live in a metropolitan area with no slopes at all around us.

Posts are looking to the neighbour's side and he gave me permission to do whatever I want as he says he wasn't paying for it (in an amicable way).

I'm aware that by following a straight line on top of the fence it will mean that the space between the top and the top rail will be about 35cm as we get closer to the street, more than the 25cm recommended by Stratco.

Am I over complicating things? It is possible to have a straight line fence on minimal slope by using longer sheets on the low side? There is no way to increase level with soil as neighbour side is a concrete driveway.

Last edited: 2nd Jun, 2020
  2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

30-35cm over what sort of length ?
    Yes it is possible, but you may have to cut the bottom and top of each sheet, and if there's too much fall the rails can end up too short so you need to cut a sheet end also.
    Sounds like you only intend to change out a few rusty sheets ?
    If this is the case then just change or paint the sheets and make do, it sounds like the neighbor thinks it's unnecessary.
    If it is replacing the entire fence, get contractor quotes and serve the neighbor "notice to fence".

iwantahouse likes this.
  3. iwantahouse

Thanks @Stoffo it is 35cm over 14 metres aprox.

I thought we didn't have to serve a notice to fence as the current fence is in reasonable condition, it is just too low (1.5m) and we want to go up to 2m high to have privacy.

We already started replacing the sheets and we are planning on continuing this weekend.

I just thought maybe to rake the fence where it reaches the side of the house (when ground level starts to go lower), so we don't see it. That way we can have a straight line at the backyard.

Joynz likes this.
  4. Mark F

Mark F Well-Known Member

I find a fence looks better if the panels are horizontal rather than following the slope. With such a small drop The fence only needs to step down in two places. Around here there is usually a 200 x 50 treated pine timber on the ground and partially set in where necessary to maintain the horizontal layout of the panels that sit on top.

iwantahouse likes this.
  5. iwantahouse

Thank you @Mark F I think you are right, now I'm thinking to make a step behind a tree on the edge and the other on the side of the house, that way it is harder to notice the steps.

Thank you for your inputs guys.

6. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

You could put a tapered treated pine plinth under the bottom rail to help.
    Sure this fence I did last week as part of a makeover is stepped due to the slope, but at 35mm over 14 it would easily allow you to keep the top level

Attached Files:

wylie likes this.
  7. iwantahouse

Thank you guys for your help.

I managed to replace the sheets using fence post extensions and tried to leave the line straight with a minimal step down in the middle of the fence close to the tree.

IMG_20200629_081025.jpg IMG_20200629_081128.jpg IMG_20200112_192342.jpg

Stoffo, Joynz and wylie like this.