WA Post a Bargain - Perth

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by MTR, 17th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

Yes it's 99 Leech Hwy. Easy to find on google maps after seeing their pics showing it being near the park.
    I'm pretty sure I've seen a fair number of properties listed as past sales in Willagee for low 500's with decent sized blocks and not on main roads and IIRC they were in liveable condition, so I am thinking 280 on a main road might be a bit high for this area, especially in this market and you could maybe find something better or cheaper.
    I could be wrong - just going by previous listings and did not view them so do your own due diligence.

Damo93 and Perthguy like this.
  2. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Has anyone looked up the address of the Willeton property? I would like to search for it but am flat out tiling at the build.

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Found it. My gut was correct - 255 Vahland Avenue, Willeton

Damo93, Perthguy and Blacky like this.
  4. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Holy moly - Vahland Avenue was the first street I ever lived on...my parents lived in a house on it when I was born!

charttv likes this.
  5. Westminster

So you're an ex-sandgroper! I grew up in Bull Creek but spent a few years in Willetton too.
    During my nomadic years (17-22) I lived in Bull Creek (x 2), Leeming (x2), Ferndale, Willetton, Riverton, Rossmoyne before disappearing over the river to never return :p

6. Perthguy

Nice spotting! That definitely makes the property less attractive.

7. Westminster

Less attractive yes but there had to be a reason for it's price and that would be it. I think still good value

Perthguy likes this.
  8. Damo93

Damo93 Well-Known Member

Is being on a main road such a big deal? Is it only the noise and traffic that makes it an option that is less attractive?

9. Damo93

Damo93 Well-Known Member

How does the street make it less attractive? We are thinking of a large block with an old house to knock down and build the "dream home". Leaving the Midland thought bubble long in the distance after weighing up options and looking at our long term plans

Perthguy likes this.
  10. Anthony Brew

Anthony Brew Well-Known Member

Well, besides that, when you sell it, it will go for a lower price also due to others feeling the same way and therefore having lower demand.
    I suppose if you can get it cheaper enough than an equivalent house not on a main road, then it might make up when eventually selling it for below the expected price of a similar house not on a main road.

Though the current market is very much the definition of a 'buyers market', which means you're holding all the cards. I suspect you may not have bought in a hot market where you often have to settle for second best because prices are rising so rapidly and waiting costs you tens of thousands of dollars. You are not in that situation, you have time, I would say use it and spend a bit more time looking for something better.

Damo93 likes this.
  11. Westminster

Families especially tend to not like being on a main road but whilst it's a dual carriage way it's not the same as the one on Leach Highway for example. Between the two Vahland Ave is a minor major road :p

Considering it's a house for the price of a duplex I would still be considering it even with the downside of potentially slighted stunted growth. If you recognise that you get it cheaper and that you will sell it cheaper when the time comes then it comes down to your personal preferences.

The other thing to consider is that you could buy it (or similar in the area) and rent it out and rent in Midland so you can be close to work whilst you are doing long hours.

A simple question on here like you asked "should I do H&L in Midland" has been completely turned around and exploded into other options. Not a bad thing :)

Last edited: 27th Dec, 2017
  12. Perthguy

I have found lower prices along major roads. But then the buy price is also lower so it evens out. If you don't mind a bit of traffic noise during the day then that is a lot of house for the price. I am not sure Vahland is very busy at night, so the noise should be a lot less when you are sleeping. It really is a good area, so worth looking at for sure.

Damo93 likes this.
  13. Damo93

Damo93 Well-Known Member

I think if we buy in this area we wouldnt look to sell for a long time. In the short term, living in the place or renting it and eventually demo to build the long term for kids etc etc..

I see similar, newer homes on the street have sold for more, and to be honest wouldnt be home during the day that much so noise may not be much of an issue.. it is a relief to hear i dont have to rush, i am worried about prices rising and locking us out of more favorable options.

14. Damo93

Damo93 Well-Known Member

Despite it being on Leach Highway, being the back block is that not a bit more favorable?

I like that you have mentioned the rent out option. I was considering this when looking for a house, something that doesn't require too much work on decent land would be ideal. Some days i only have 1-2hrs between jobs and so renting in Midland would be ideal for me, i am in a sharehouse which keeps rent to $120 per week, very manageable.

I do greatly appreciate all of your suggestions, different perspectives help to make a more informed decision and i am thankful i stumbled upon this thread

15. Damo93

Damo93 Well-Known Member

A low buy price would be ideal as we will need to spend more $$ on a demo, any idea on a rough estimate or is it a wide range and dependent on different variables? Also with that particular house would the cost of filling in that pool with sand be expensive?

Im a heavy sleeper, i dont even notice the planes flying overhead in South Guildford where i live currently haha :)

Perthguy likes this.
  16. Damo93

Damo93 Well-Known Member

17. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Damo93 likes this.
  18. Damo93

Damo93 Well-Known Member

19. Westminster

20. Westminster

It's a whole other price bracket but it's a nice house. The mid to high 600s you can get a lot of bang for your buck.

I didn't realise that part of Bateman was Rossmoyne High zone. In Bull Creek the south side of Parry Ave is Leeming High zone.

Damo93 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.