Possible scammer on CarSales, thoughts?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Dan Donoghue, 30th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Big difference between you calling the bank and them verifying you, and them calling you and want to verify you.

2. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Why? If they call you how do they know that you are you? They don't know your voice, you could be anyone who answered the phone, you could be a dude who found a phone in the back of a cab.

3. New Town

New Town Well-Known Member

Do you notice that a lot of oldies being scammed hadn't directly worked for their money. Either inherited off the old man or from their house price growing. Easy come easy go I suppose and not knowing the value of earning $$$.

4. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I really don't think this has anything to do with it and is pretty darn judgemental.

balwoges, Player, Perthguy and 2 others like this.
  5. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Because of this post, I am going to change our Wills so all of our $BILLIONS in assets go to charities and not to our kids and grandkids.

EASY COME, EASY GO :D

Westminster likes this.
  6. shorty

shorty Well-Known Member

How do you know it's the bank? In all seriousness, you should never give your details out to anyone who calls you unless you are expecting the call. Any organisation that recognises the importance of protecting their customers from identity fraud will understand this and incorporate this into their business processes. If a bank calls me out of the blue, I ask for their number, verify it's correct on their website and call them back (if I need to and it's not just a marketing call).

Takes 2 minutes and mitigates the risk of identity theft.

If you are comfortable with the risk vs convenience trade-off, that's fine - just understand the risk.

TMNT, Perthguy and Lizzie like this.
  7. Steve Py

Steve Py Member

This is the most important... As for a name, reference number, extension, etc. Even if the number on call display matches, always call them back. This goes for any attempt to verify who you are.

Caller ID can readily be spoofed. One time Westpac purportedly called me up about a dormant account which I told them I had no account with that bank. She wanted to ask me verifying questions such as birth date, mother's maiden name to confirm. I simply said "Sorry, I have no way of verifying who you are." and hung up. If they're legit, they should know better.

Perthguy likes this.
  8. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

No,---but some people are funny when they try to be serious..

9. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

It's not paranoia. People have had their accounts hacked handing over this information.

10. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

New Town likes this.
  11. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

As someone told me a while ago and i totally agree

If the bank are the ones calling they should be convincing you who they are , not asking who you are !

wylie likes this.
  12. New Town

New Town Well-Known Member

Semi serious. Off course anyone can fall victim to these online type scams that are prolific, convincing and ever changing. But on the other hand I view the victims of phishing and online romance scams as financing overseas organised crime at best, and terrorism at worst. And I'm starting to wonder if some aren't partly aware they're being scammed but are just willing to pay for a bit of theatre and the embellished compliments whether from a parachuting GI like the photo or a young Nigerian

Last edited: 2nd Aug, 2019
  13. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

Well a few years back I had a car up on car sales. Young guy from Victoria rings me and we negotiate a price and agree. After meeting with a friend of his in Sydney who looks over the car the gentleman from vic agrees to buy the car. Wanted the car to be registered in his moms name. So sends me a copy of her drives lic and transfers the funds into my account. I then drop the car of at a transport company which he booked to ship the car to vic.

No problem at all. Problems started when he kept speeding in the car and I got the fines. Now I did my homework and contacted rms in nsw to ask them what i need to do when selling a car interstate. They said just the normal notice if disposal will do. WRONG. I should have cancelled the rego and removed the plates. The different states don’t share info and until he changed ownership to himself in vic I kept getting his infringements. Luckily I kept a picture of his mums lic and nominated her on the infringements as the new owner.

14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

You cannot be serious?

15. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

wow my experience with NAB had been good until today,
    been getting heaps of calls, on 2 mobiles, home phone that we dont use,
    even the automated msg actually confirming the name, dob of fthe account holder correctly as well

so I call up NAB (im a signatory on the account , not account holder),
    they say, you can make changes in teh account, view tranasctions, but we cant tell you if these calls are from us or not

Then spoke to my local branch manager, who says there is nothing more they can do except put a note on the file. and there is no way to escalate it despite the huge potential secuirty breach with all my details, and that if they do find out more information, they may call me again.........

ridiculous

Perthguy likes this.
  16. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

It sounds like scammers are trying to get your details. It might be a good idea to confirm your contact details with the bank in person. It is a shame you can't ask the bank to secure the account against any changes by phone or email.

TMNT likes this.
  17. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

yeah I wish I could, ive used a few choice words to the branch manager

for the record the number is 0341000198

google shows it as calls from nab,
    but I cant work out if is Nab themselves or a scammer

the DOB automated question was , your DOB is 1st jan , please enter the year of birth on your keypad

18. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Don't google the number they rang from - just google the official website and ring the 13xxxx or 1800 number.

From my phone history, it appears most scammers come thru 03

Perthguy likes this.
  19. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

incoming calls are not displayed as 13XXX, or 1800XXXX
    they have a land line number attached to them or they are private , so even if you do call 13XXX, if htey call you back it can be a local number

20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I know that ... but the solution is not to call the local number but go back thru the 13 or 1800 switchboard to ring them back ... then you "know" you're not speaking to a clever scammer