Possible international phone call scam

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Gockie, 7th Feb, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. ShireBoy

ShireBoy Well-Known Member

Pretty sure they'll just be using an auto-dialer. That's the simplest method.

Joynz likes this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I don't either. If they want me, they'll call again.

kierank likes this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Maybe an ex Slavic girlfriend....

Air_Bender likes this.
  4. wylie

We get a lot of calls where I answer (landline) and nobody is there (unlisted number).

I had a call the other day. Was told it was Telstra and that a three digit number had been changed at the exchange (or similar wording) and had I lost access to the internet? I had lost contact that morning (twice) so assumed it was a genuine call.

The caller then asked me to go to my computer, that she would help me make the necessary changes to ensure access. I said I was sitting at my computer (but I was immediately suspicious).

She transferred me to a "supervisor" who asked me to press the "windows" button beside my spacebar.

I said I have a mac and asked "Is this a scam caller?". He said "Yes ma'am, it is" and hung up.

The thing is that after 11 weeks of trying to move to Telstra, and having lots of issues (now resolved), and having lost internet connection that very morning, I could easily have assumed this was indeed Telstra and could fallen for this. I still don't know for sure it was a scam (and the "yes ma'am, it is" could have been from a frustrated employee not knowing how else to help me - but I doubt it).

5. ShireBoy

ShireBoy Well-Known Member

It most likely would have been. They try to get you to allow remote access (through TeamViewer or Windows itself), essentially giving the other person total access to your whole computer. Then they can run a script which activates in milliseconds, giving them what they need.

The admission from the person on the phone... maybe they're an ethical scammer? haha

The Falcon likes this.
  6. wylie

Yeah... that admission surprised me.

The Falcon likes this.
  7. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Your mum is lucky. The ATO is sending the police to arrest me.

Interestingly, I got a genuine call from the ATO a few days ago to clarify something with a tax return. I asked for a reference number and called back (not a number the caller gave me). She wasn't at all surprised that I asked for a reference number though. Turns out the call was legit and it took nearly an hour to sort out something that should have taken 5 minutes. Dam you spammers! :mad:

8. Befuddled

Befuddled Well-Known Member

+32468781698

9. clemont

clemont Member

Received calls from this number too!

10. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

11. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

I never call back missed calls from overseas numbers. Period. I figure if they really want to speak to me they'd leave a VM. Mind you I have a good laugh at the telemarketers that call and ask to speak to "Mr House Search Australia" every now and again (I kid you not :D ) on the business line... obviously reading too automatically from their script to recognise the inanity of their own question :D:D:D

Gockie likes this.
  12. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Received one this afternoon. +386 a slovenian number.

13. wylie

I had another caller today saying he was from Telstra. He said again that something had changed at the exchange (or something similar) and he would help me ensure I was connected properly.

I told him I thought the call was a scam. He insisted he really was from Telstra. I asked for a number to call him back on.

He gave me 1097 650 4141 and hung up abruptly.

I googled that number and it seems it could be a Russian number, but I'm not sure whether I'm getting the correct result.

Anyone care to confirm for me to see if the result I'm seeing is what I think it is (Russian scam)?

I certainly will not be calling that number.

14. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I'm baffled as to why the Telstra number would be that long.