Positive thoughts re Corona Virus

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by See Change, 28th Feb, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Two things have happened in the last two days that were somewhat reassuring .

One official ( credible - not trump - though can't find link ) came out and said that the disease doesn't seem to be as severe as first expected . From what I can seen the deaths in the west have been all elderly , unwell , while there were some deaths of younger people in china initially . If that's the case , then it may pan out to just like " the worst flu season ever " ( excluding the Spanish flu )

Second , China seem to be pushing to get everyone back to work . They've had the most experience with corona virus . Obviously they've made the decision that what ever the consequences of the illness , the fallout from a stalled economy and the subsequent problems , economic / social and political unrest arising from that are worse than sending people back to work and having a flare up of the virus ( which is probably what will happen ) and all the consequences , social , political etc associated with that .

They're caught between a rock and a hard place and there's not to many regimes in the world who would be " brave " enough ( or authoritarian enough) to take that decision at this point in time .

In reality that decision is probably good for the rest of the world as some much of the world relies on manufacturing in China . Be interesting to see if that changes after this ( Bring back Holden ....)

Cliff

2. Gen-Y

Gen-Y Well-Known Member

Positive note - wealth transfer from the old to the young when the corona virus hit the oldies?

That is a Friday joke - I am going to hit my corona beer. Cheer!

Codie, gman65 and Archaon like this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

From the figures I have seen (WHO and other apparently reliable sources), for 80%+ of those affected the disease is relatively mild.

Severe symptoms, hospitalisation and death seem to be more confined to those elderly, especially those with pre-existing illnesses or low immunity.

Of course there will be exceptions.

And yesterday, reported new cases were higher outside China than within.

Lizzie likes this.
  4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I just arrived in Japan today and there was little fuss about the virus other than more people wearing masks. Schools are closing for a week tomorrow here though.

Perhaps it is mostly media hype and it is just a bad flu which we will all eventually get

ChrisP73 and Marg4000 like this.
  5. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

There is a significant likelihood that humanity will be wiped out by a virulent strain of virus. It won't e COVID-19, maybe 20.

Lone_Wolf, SatayKing and wategos like this.
  6. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

If your looking for a weekend break , lots of cheap hotel rooms going at the moment, especially in certain areas that are popular with overseas tourists, city locations etc.
    We live down on the coast and have got a really good deal for a city stay at a top 5 star hotel, so many empty rooms at unbelievable costs.

Lone_Wolf, ellejay and Terry_w like this.
  7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I remember in High School when a social type bug spread like wildfire through the senior's rugby league team. Even the coach was struck with it. People started carrying small bottles of Dettol as a precaution.

There was fear that it could run upstream in the trough but after several months all the fear abated. I think corona will be the same.

bob shovel, Propertunity and Terry_w like this.
  8. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

The media was reportedly saying Japanese schools closing for a month

9. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes, but lots of hype. The Japanese are generally scared of germs at normally. Now more so, but not everyone is wearing masks, but probably most are.

10. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

Yes it's all hype over in Japan

Hokkaido in northern Japan declares state of emergency due to coronavirus, urges people to stay at home this weekend

Tokyo Disney Resort and Universal Studios Japan will be closed for at least 2 weeks to prevent the spread of coronavirus - NHK

Terry_w likes this.
  11. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

This is highly unlikely to be a “long term” event. But in the case of sharemarkets it’s dominated by participants with “short term” thinking. Hence for the sensible minority with a “long term” view this is simply business as usual. Keep investing, never sell unless capital is genuinely required ie ignore the noise and stay the course.

Rex, Propertunity, Bunbury and 6 others like this.
  12. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

Another Diamond Princess cruise ship passenger, a 70-year-old woman, dies after being infected with coronavirus, raising ship's death toll to 5

13. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I sometimes find this guy’s (Christopher Joye) views, albeit at times egotistical, interesting:
    Coronavirus is a classic case of market failure

sharon and el caballo like this.
  14. wategos

wategos Well-Known Member

My Dad, who was a doctor, used to say "The bugs will get us in the end".

Clearly this one wont but eventually something big will likely wipe a lot of us out. Humanity has changed things too much, too fast. It's going to have consequences. Maybe we are the most dangerous virus of all as far as life on earth goes.

15. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

In which case the planet will be saved.

Job done.

Propagate, qak, Bunbury and 4 others like this.
  16. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

hey guys , the title of this thread is positive thoughts about the corona virus . Off topic .

cliff

17. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

I was conveying positive thoughts. :D

qak likes this.
  18. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

Glad I'm not the only misanthrope out there ;)

19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

On a positive note........ its not Ebola

Lone_Wolf likes this.
  20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: 29th Feb, 2020
    turk likes this.