Position of pool on a sloped block

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by Jules, 4th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jules

Jules Active Member

Hi Guys, need some thoughts on pool position in our garden. We have a two tiered sloped block (it has a retaining wall and garden island in the middle) between two tiers of lawn. We are doing a knock down and re build on our block and need to position the pool - But can’t decide between either (I) vertical pool coming off the alfresco from the house down the slope. (II) horizontal pool placed down the bottom of the garden away from house, leaving one tier of lawn on the top. Both have pros and cons. First option has the pool out of the ground on one side of the pool in the middle of the garden, the second options needs a long retaining wall built in across the whole width of garden. Anyone got any ideas or pics of their pool on sloped block to share? Pic of garden below. upload_2022-1-4_19-14-48.jpeg

2. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

House floorplan in position on block and some arrows showing slope direction (contours every 1m fall/drop) might help

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Pools on sloped land can have to real upsides. I know in my state if the sides of the pool are 1200mm above ground you don't need a fence so I've seen some beautiful pools where just the ground level pool part has the fence and the rest doesn't need any

I would be wary of having a pool at the bottom of a slope though as when it rains everything will run to it and it will just be a mess.

Pools built into slope inspo

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Jules

Jules Active Member

Good point I’ll see if I can share this!

5. Jules

Jules Active Member

This is really helpful. You are right about rain - I didn’t even think about that! These pics are good food for thought. Thankyou :)

6. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

+1

Neighbours did the same. No fence required on low side and great views similar to that of a horizon pool.

Keep pool close to house, more convenient for entertaining and safety especially if wanting to keep an eye on kids swimming.

+1

Lizzie, craigc, Stoffo and 1 other person like this.
  7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Council probably wont approve a pool at the rear of the lot as it poses a drowning hazard without clear line of sight. They dont like vegetation masking a pool. Councils get uppity about pool approvals and often have conditions that arent printed which exceed the standards eg they will oppose large fenced off areas or entertaining features inside the fence eg a BBQ even large grassed areas. They also can have issues with timber slat fences to neighbours bordering any pool side as a paling loss risk and a climbing hazard that breaches the AS for pools. eg You cant stop a kid scaling their side or kicking slats. That retaining wall wont likely cope with a pool nearby and pool cant often be a element of a pool fence without very strict conditions. Earth reinforcement to neigbours and setbacks apply.

Another option is to place the pool on one side across the two yard areas eg front to back. This may make the yard appear quite lengthy v's closed off. Also half the excavation cost to embed it on the top section and leave it slightly raised on the other to avoid run off etc. Consider services like sewer, stomwater, easemnets etc. Each metre away from the house may increase connection costs marginally...All must be dug down 2m. Consider daytime sun and shading for position. Now is a good time of year to consider it but March and October are also wise. Can assist solar warming using a mere cover etc. A shaded pool, can chill quickly.

I would be speaking carefully with fence and pool company for their guidance on local council and state rules. The draw site marking all issues and find what may work for site

Stoffo likes this.
  8. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

+1
    Keep it close ;)
    Less distance to the toilet :oops:
    Line of sight to kids swimming/other :cool:
    More likely to "spot" any issue's over winter:rolleyes:
    Can hear if pump is running/blocked/empty :eek:
    More likely to use if its close by :)

Nodrog, bmc and wylie like this.
  9. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

Sadly not in NSW, my pool is hard up against our house and the block slopes away from the house, the back wall of our pool is 1800mm out of the ground and council made us put a pool fence in, even though the wall is a flat surface.

We love our pool against the house, easy to keep a eye on the kids, looks great when entertaining, looks great when sitting in our Kitchen, dinning room or media room.

Keeps the rear yard free for kids, also very rarely needs a clean as no leaf or rubbish blows into it.

10. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Did you want the pool to do laps, or simply get in and splash around?

I'm liking the round "tank style" pools. Being round you don't end up with the long stretch down the block and with some nice decking, lots of lounging space too