Portfolio Management Tool/Service/Application

Discussion in 'Sharemarket Investing Platforms, Tools & Services' started by hillsguy, 26th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hillsguy

hillsguy Well-Known Member

Hi all, fairly new to the trading game ...

Have just setup my Self Managed Super Fund and now ready to begin investing. Excited to have found this forum !

First silly question as I have spent a few hours looking online and not having much luck.

I am after a Portfolio Management service or application that can :

1) Provide me with an overview of my share portfolio (approx. 15 stocks at the moment).

2) Allows me to view total return and can split out new purchases of same stock. I am currently using Sharesight and it cannot do this !

Example I purchase Woolworths stock today at 1 price and then 1 month later at another price. This should be reflected in 2 separate lines.

3) Ability to show me total portfolio return inclusive of dividends.

4) Ability to take a feed from Commsec to update price and latest dividend information.

Appreciate your help/ thoughts or input here !

2. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

I use Iress Xplan but I don't think this is available to individuals. I'd be keen to hear what else is available off the shelf must be a growing market for this with SMSF trustees.

3. hillsguy

I am surprised at the lack of interest here ...???

4. cdchi1

cdchi1 Well-Known Member

I don't use a portfolio mgt service myself so can't assist, but with splitting of acquisitions in your second requirement if you can't find one you could always consider making your own Excel spreadsheet assuming you have basic skills in it. Each time I make an acquisition, I just open up the s/sheet and input it. Cando the same for DRP acquisitions too I guess. I'll leave the 'sells' until EOFY. At EOFY I'll move all 'sold' lines to a new worksheet for that completed FY leaving only my still held positions on the original worksheet.

5. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I use sharesight.com.au for my shares that are outside of my super. This is maily for monitoring growth and help me keep track of dividends. I am currently using a free account as my portfolio is currently small.

I am separately thinking of setting up an SMSF. If I do this I would upgade my sharesight account. New features allow you to tag holdings in groups which would be ideal if I need to separately track super-holdings and non-super holdings.

6. devank

devank Well-Known Member

I use investsmart to keep an eye on shares.

7. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Just thought i'd add, might not suit most, but this is one of the advantages of full service brokerages. Most have an excellent portfolio administration service. All of this stuff and more is available, and come tax time they just email tax statement to your accountant. Happy days.

8. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Sharesight certainly does this. With my managed funds and monthly contributions , I have in excess of 20 lines on some holdings.

9. hillsguy

Problem is Sharesight only takes average price when you purchase the same stock at different prices. This distorts the portfolio summary !

I have emailed them (they don't take calls) and they never replied !!!

10. wombat777

That's not great. Mention it somewhere on their Facebook page. That will more likely get some action.

11. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Do you want every transaction on your summary?
    For me it makes sense to be able to enter the individual transactions and then see an average price in the summary.
    What would you like to see and how would it aid in your investment process?

12. wombat777

Sharesight have released a 'reader' app for accessing portfolio on iOS devices. At the moment it is an iPhone app so has not been designed to suit the iPad form factor.

Unsure if android app is available.

13. OscarBravo

OscarBravo Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure sharesight can provide a list of every transaction. I think you are right that the dashboard display averages - but you can definitely get a list of all the transactions that went in to that average.

radson likes this.
  14. radson

radson Well-Known Member

Oh, it certainly does