WA Port Hedland time to invest?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Investor_84, 20th May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Yes... I dont bother with historical data waste of time.... who cares....is the market rising today??? Nope

Next question.... average time/days on market to rent?? Anyone

Lets stick to the facts today...

Last edited: 6th Jun, 2018
    hematite likes this.
  2. Investor_84

Investor_84 Well-Known Member

Want to talk about facts? Refer to image. Not saying that’s a guarantee astronomical capital growth is coming. Clearly shows though the down trend is at its end for the time being. Enough said.

Attached Files:

Perthguy and sanj like this.
  3. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

I’m only mentioning bitcoin because the conversation is taking exactly the same pathway. Nothing more. It is a vastly different asset you are correct. But some people just will get all defensive and throw general statements on why the dustbowl that has seen a population growth of 0% will magically outperform other asset classes just because they bought there or because their grasping of the unicorn magic is better. This is exactly what the bitcoin conversion went to claim.

In any case. It might perform in short term and it might heat up eventually. But why do you belive that that place will outperform major regionals or capitals? Property is supply and demand game. As I mentioned before owner occupied properties are low.

4. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

I don't think anyone arguing against you actually owns a property in port hedland

Just a bunch of people who are putting their views forward with some pretty sound arguments as opposed to your rantings about no population growth (which is not true)

No one doubts these places are risky but they become somewhat derisked after the falls that we have seen

Perthguy, radson and TMNT like this.
  5. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

1) there has been lots of specifics and very few sweeping general statements in my posts on this topic while you've posted a grand total of zero specific to PH or Karratha info/opinions/statistics to back anything up you're saying. Zero.

By all means disagree with me all you like I've got no issue with it but don't put false words in my mouth and accuse me.of ignorance and making sweeping comments when I specifically made an effort to try explain my pov including using actual sales examples and stats. You've done nothing of the sort

The simple fact that you haven't even mentioned the fact that close to 1bn of govt funds have been spent on Karratha alone this past decade to greatly improve services and liveabilty, which has a direct impact on its transient population, means you either didn't do even 2 mins worth of research before spreading your gospel, or, that you did but.didnt think it.was relevsnt

Either way its clear I'd have more chance of helping Barnaby joyce graduate from finishing school than you actually engaging meaningfully so I'm out

P.S- protip - in future if you wish to be taken seriously I'd try to think of a less ludicrous comparison of a) buying naturally riskier mining property at the very bottom of the cycle.after a massive price bust and bottoming , and B) buying bitcoin at its absolute peak of 23k

You do rralise considering buying at record highs and record low are actually quite different and actually very.from entirely different approaches and risk profoles don't you?

Last edited: 7th Jun, 2018
    Perthguy, charttv, TMNT and 1 other person like this.
  6. sanj

YES IT IS.

This not opinion. You are incorrect

I do agree with your suggestion that we focus on the facts today and the facts today are the opposite of what you're saying

Craig B likes this.
  7. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Are you saying the Karratha and Port Hedland markets are pretty much performing the same ?

Or are there just two tangents to this thread where statements about the risks of Port Hedland are countered with statements about the performance of Karratha.

8. sanj

Nope, I'm not saying they're the same although I!m sure there would be some similarities

The post you quoted was specifically about the fact that prices have already started riding on a like for like basis, in both Karratha and Hedland
    Apart from that any specifics I've discussed have been regarding Karratha and not PH as I have not
    Looked at PH In detail in a while but looked at Karratha 4 or so monthsmths ago and briefly yesterday

9. sanj

Short version - it is incorrect to state there is no price gains occurring ATM That's what my post was stating and graphs were put up showing this for both Karratha and PH. Not sure where you got the other bit from

10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Imho there are 2 separate discussions/considerations being mixed into one here.

1. Is PH and Karratha showing signs of market movement and gains.?
    2. How is risk managed in these markets and does it meet an individual's risk profile or not.?

I believe #1 is yes. And #2 needs to be assessed on an individual basis carefully.

sanj and radson like this.
  11. radson

radson Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Its a flattering pic, but this is that 'dustbowl' to which we are referring

Inov8ive, Toon, Perthguy and 2 others like this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Can you provide evidence of this ??
    p

13. sanj

It has been provided already by 2 people in this very thread, along with links to the data source and to specific examples. Have you actually checked them out?

14. sanj

I see your shiny picture and raise you a strawman made entirely out of bitcoin. Your move

Toon, Perthguy and radson like this.
  15. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Mmm Apartments. Where can I park my 4wd and boat? For many the attraction to living up there is a well paid job, fishing, camping and 4wds. Which requires a nice big strong shed come cyclone season.

16. radson

radson Well-Known Member

That's hilarious :)

sanj likes this.
  17. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Top 2 you not comparing the same apples
    One is much older for starters, is location comparable???

If we have seen significant capital gain dont you think for starters we would be reading about this in media etc??

For growth you need volume to significantly reduce. Where are the buyers? Can investors even source finance for this postcode?
    The other chestnut, we are in the middle of a credit squeeze would you believe, impacting on overall Oz market

18. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

Look at this pretty picture. It’s Kabul in Afghanistan. I bet prices will skyrocket cause everyone wants to buy there.

9A7CB7EA-7B95-4251-B1B5-8820831A1FD7.jpeg

Shogun likes this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

For those interested in buying in Port Hedland......Easiest way to find out what is happening on the ground is to phone at least 3 realtors and ask pertinent questions

How long is it taking to sell
    What is selling
    Volume, how many houses/units on the market
    Who is buying
    Rental supply
    How long is it taking to rent properties
    Rent vs OO %%%

Red flag if its taking months to sell properties and there is too much supply

20. radson

radson Well-Known Member

There is precedent :)

Prices in parts of the Afghan capital have risen by 75 per cent in the past year, according to estate agents.

Plummeting Dubai property prices have seen the small but wealthy Afghan elite pull their investments out of the Gulf to plough back into Kabul.

Prices have been further buoyed by demand for city centre property and land from an influx of aid agencies, international contractors and the bulding of new embassies.

Perthguy and Noobieboy like this.