Porcelain bench-tops

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Jane Eyles-Bennett, 13th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jane Eyles-Bennett

Jane Eyles-Bennett Member

Does anyone have experience with Porcelain bench-tops as an alternative to stone? It seems a relatively new thing. Anyone with a good contact in Brisbane? Looking to possibly spec for a high end reno I'm working on currently. Thanks.

2. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

No but please do send pictures of finished product. It does sound high end

3. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

We were spruiked this recently when getting quotes for PPOR renovation - the girl was pushing it hard. The (limited) benefits she could come up with was:

• oh but everyone in Europe does it
    • Higher heat resistance properties (seen too many people destroying their stone tops from heat? Me either)
    • Greater flexibility of colour range - legitimate benefit if you want something specific
    Reasonably higher in cost - can't remember the exact figures.

4. Player

Player Well-Known Member

20160225_081111.jpg We just did our daughter's bathroom. It is a new thing and that's what she choose. I prefer stone myself

Edit. I didn't realise it was used for kitchens. It's very fashionable for vanity tops again however I still prefer stone. I couldn't visualise in a kitchen.

Last edited: 13th Apr, 2016
  5. Skilled_Migrant

Skilled_Migrant Well-Known Member

6. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Apparently it's quite expensive, probably b/c it's new and not everyone does it yet.

7. Jane Eyles-Bennett

Jane Eyles-Bennett Member

Thanks Skilled_Migrant - great info there. Have been in touch with a showroom here in Brisbane (Artedomus) and going to have a look next week. Apparently the cost is comparable to stone if not a bit cheaper. We'll see!!! Thanks for the feedback everyone. Hopefully I can use it on this upcoming clients reno. I'll post some pics down the track if so!

Skilled_Migrant likes this.
  8. Tim86

Tim86 Well-Known Member

Drop a pot on it and it would crack and smash in a second.

Ive seen so many cracked porcelain vanity tops. And Ive ripped out old porcelain vanities and seen them smash into tiny pieces with little effort. Granite would be a million times stronger.

Perthguy likes this.