Population growth, States and stats.

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Barny, 23rd Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Borrowed from propertyology.

POPULATION GROWTH:

The Australian Bureau of Statistics has today released the latest state-by-state #population data for the year ending September 2016. Here's a quick summary

• National increase of 348,700 for the year. Strong #demand for national housing

• The 1.46% AUS growth rate is higher than the 1.38% for the same time a year earlier, but lower than the 1.67% growth for the year ending Sept 2013

• 35% (31,932 people) of the growth over the quarter ending Sept 2016 represented the net increase from births / deaths ('natural increase') while the other 65% (59,384 people) is from net #overseasmigration

• VIC (127,498 people; 2.14% annual growth) was the state with the highest population growth

• ACT (5,778 people; 1.48%), NSW (109,605 people; 1.43%), QLD (67,699 people; 1.41%), WA (0.97%), SA (0.55%), TAS (0.50%), NT (0.33%)

• Interstate migration continues to increase towards VIC (net increase of 17,185 people last year) and QLD (12,966 people)

• The trend for a net DECREASE from #interstatemigration continues in NSW (-11,733 people), WA (-9,198 people), and SA (-6,484 people)

• Sept 2016 produced the best quarterly increase in QLD net interstate migration since Dec 2008

So more people than last year, Sydney is losing people to Melb, NSW and Queensland doing well.
    So what's this all mean? Victoria rocks, and too many people for my liking. I might have to move to Adelaide or Perth.

Realist35, Chabs, WattleIdo and 4 others like this.
  2. Connor

Connor Well-Known Member

Keep investing in VIC and move to Adelaide for the laid back lifestyle :)

Actually i'd like to see if these figures have been broken down even more.. and see what part of the states and cities are seeing the population growth.

MTR, pwt and Barny like this.
  3. teetotal

teetotal Well-Known Member

Thanks for the heads up. I'll need to head to ABS website and do some analysis paralysis :D:confused::p

4. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Lots of people in Victoria. Does this mean Victorian regionals are healthy?

5. Spiderman

Spiderman Well-Known Member

Victoria's growth is largely a story about Melbourne. Mostly outer suburbs in the west and north but also CBD area apartments.

WattleIdo likes this.
  6. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

'Build it and they will come' has worked out in this instance.

Realist35 likes this.
  7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Vic for making money

Realist35 and Connor like this.
  8. Toon

Toon Well-Known Member

Ballarat is currently growing at 2.1% according to Ballarat City Council CEO 'Ms Linley said while Ballarat was experiencing healthy population growth of 2.1 per cent per annum, a boost to the city’s high-paid professional workforce was pivotal to ensure continued prosperity in the city.'
    Ballarat CEO leads charge for gov jobs

WattleIdo likes this.