Population growth figures for 50 largest cities in Aus

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by GalacticExplorer, 20th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. GalacticExplorer

GalacticExplorer Well-Known Member

Latest population figures: Top 50 cities in Australia | .id blog

13% for Perth over 5 years? That seems incredible, how could that be? I thought Perth prices have and are still declining. Unless the supply is so large as to offset any population growth demand?

Of particular interest to me is Brisbane and Gold Coast. They appear to outline Queensland as generally superior to SA in terms of investment prospects, especially once factoring in economic and jobs growth.

James G and House like this.
  2. andyboiii

andyboiii Well-Known Member

"Based on these numbers, Melbourne would overtake Sydney in only about 8 years – but this version of Sydney excludes the Central Coast, nominally a part of Greater Sydney".

Not far off! Not bad if you have a property (or several) in 8 years!

3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I am never too confident about stats, what does this really mean and can we be sure that these projections will actually happen? no one can predict the future?

I would much prefer to look to immigration today, movement today (nothing to do with your body:)), Melbourne number 1 for immigration.

andyboiii likes this.
  4. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

They say Gladstone will increase by 17 percent?

5. GalacticExplorer

GalacticExplorer Well-Known Member

These are current movements though. Esp. The current yearly growth.

6. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

It looks like its 5 years up to 2015 - which sounds exactly right for Perth 2010 to 2015 - people were moving here like crazy 2010 to around 2014.

7. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Right, I think there was a thread some time ago regarding the coloration of population and whether it actually equates to property booms.

In 2013 when Syd had the start of a boom cycle, why it boomed in particular Syds west suburbs was because of the spike in immigration from professionals in India moving to west Syd suburbs.

My point is pop stats are just that they are too broad, wont necessarily equate to being able to predict what State will boom and when?

Sure we know the bigger cities have greater population that's just logical. I don't use this type of data for investing because its meaningless in terms of trying to work out where to buy, just saying

8. andyboiii

andyboiii Well-Known Member

Sounds like Melbourne, currently!

Where I bought in Mickleham, I've been fortunate to meet Indian doctors who have brought many families with them.

MTR likes this.