Pools - bang for buck?

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by dan2101, 28th Jul, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

Hey all,

Just doing a Reno to our PPOR residence on the central coast. Will be living in for about 2 years. What is the general consensus with pools? If you spend $40k are you likely to get $40k extra on sale? We don't have to get one so if it doesn't value add probably won't bother!

Cheers
    Dan

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Pools are a lifestyle choice so should only be considered for personal benefit, and won't automatically increase the value of your property.

For every person who is happy to buy a house with a pool, there will be at least one other who won't, so don't expect to get money back on a sale.

If you only intend to live there for two years, it is probably not worth it.
    Marg

spludgey, vbplease, dan2101 and 2 others like this.
  3. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

What would be the current value of the property?

Upper end maybe, lower end no.

Pools aren't for everyone, I love that my parents have one for when I want to swim.
    But hate when they're travelling and I need to look after it, complete PIA

Gingin and dan2101 like this.
  4. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Agree with Brady - comes down to the type of dwelling. Location also comes into play.

In QLD - a pool is generally a value add. In the ACT - I see it more of a PITA that takes up valuable yard space.

I'm not sure about the central coast.

Personally - if it's going to become an IP soon then I wouldn't bother. It's just another thing to maintain.

Cheers

Jamie

dan2101 and wylie like this.
  5. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Come time for a sell off down the track, you'll find a reduced pool of buyers too. 30% of the market is investors - they don't want a pool. Of the 70% OO at least half do not want a pool. That gives a buyer pool of 35% only.

As others have said, $40-50K cost and lucky to get $20-25K as an increase in end val.

dan2101, Marg4000, Brady and 2 others like this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

$40k equates to alot of visits to local pool and to central coast beaches.

7. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

NO

Tom Rivera and dan2101 like this.
  8. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

you wont get a pool for $40k

Paul@PAS and dan2101 like this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

This is my pool story from beginning to end. Some comments may help
    Suits our lifestyle, work very little, just get the right equipment

Fibreglass vs concrete pool

dan2101 likes this.
  10. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

Awesome thanks for all the advice and tips everyone!

11. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

We had a pool when I was a kid/teenager and I used it a lot and loved it. My dad has continued to have pools in the houses he's had since. I would love one but DH isn't keen.

Google shipping container pools, I think they would be cool if you have colourbond fences anyway (blend in) and they are only as permanent as you want them to be, also come in different sizes and comply with fencing laws as is if you have them flat on the ground. Trying to convince DH with this argument...

Archaon and dan2101 like this.
  12. Scott No Mates

Isn't it always?

dan2101 and MTR like this.
  13. Pentanol

Pentanol Well-Known Member

I think it varies from place to place really. You really need to compare the prices for a similar property without the pool and one with the pool and see whether there any premium. I haven't done property analysis into this but from a quick observation around QLD there appears to be a slight premium (10-20k maybe?). Also with the vacancy a bit higher around the Brisbane region, having a pool sets your property apart as well.

Having said that you need to do your own DD to see what the market is like in the central coast. I don't know what the climate is like there.

14. GrimR

GrimR Member

From Sydney, when I was hunting to buy a house I avoided all houses that have pools because I don't want the headache lol, so yeah those non pool people definitely exist.

15. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

When my mother was selling houses she always told to us to buy a house with a pool already built rather than build one. I don't believe spending $40k on a pool will give you $40k back immediately, but as others have said, a lot depends on area and style and value of house.

In our area, it is a plus, and for a house over $1m in our general area, I think not having it might limit the pool of buyers, but when we bought here, our house was crappy and, whilst the street was "good", it wasn't as good as it is now (as houses have been renovated).

Nobody swims in our pool much these days. We encourage the neighbours to jump in but I'll also say with no kids left here to swim, the upkeep and running costs are much lower than when it got a heap of use.

I'd never want a pool in an IP though.

Kassy likes this.
  16. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Really depends on the area and type of house/market. But the other thing to keep in mind is even if it doesn't add a dollar value per se, in many cases it does increase the saleability of your place. So just how much value you put on that X factor and how important it is to you really needs to be judged on a case by case basis imo.

17. drfuzzy

drfuzzy Well-Known Member

I chose to delete the pools from my townhouse development in inner ring Melbourne. The pools were tiny (more like plunge pools), reduced garden space, and were expensive to construct and noisy for the neighbors.

I was reluctant to do it as they were to have a glass feature wall that would have a big wow factor. When I spoke to real estate agents selling similar high-end property I made my decision. I had several tell me the pools wouldn't get me a higher end value. At best they might help me sell it faster.

Listening to one buyer give feedback on a similar pool in a high-end home was insightful:
    BUYER: Wow, that pool looks amazing!
    AGENT: Is that what you are looking for?
    BUYER: No. I don't want a pool in my home. It just looks really cool.

Tom Rivera and Scott No Mates like this.
  18. Scott No Mates

Why would it even feature in your thinking?

19. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

After having an IP with a pool (it was our PPOR) I'd avoid them like the plague in the future.

Tenants never look after then, so you have to pay for someone to come in and maintain it - costs around $70/wk. I wasn't too worried, as this IP was renting for $700/wk, but it was still an additional expense.

As for personal use - we put one in when the kids were young, and tried to buy houses with pools, as the kids would use them constantly. But once they reached 12-14 all usage ceased.

The current PPOR is expansively decked and perfect for an infinity pool to be added if the next buyer wanted to - but we'll, perhaps maybe, just put a portable spa on a reinforced section

EN710 likes this.