pool "not finalised"

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by grace23, 22nd Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. grace23

grace23 New Member

we are in the process of buying our first home which has a pool. Upon the solicitor doing the searches we have found that the pool's building approval is "not finalised " . The pool is 10 years old. We have had our own inspection on the pool and structurally its all good, there is also a safety certificate in place. Unfortunately the vendors are not forthcoming with any information on it nor have they offered an explanation. They want us to get the pool finalised ourselves either by going back to the private certifier or going through council. We really want this house and don't want to loose it but are hesitant under the circumstances. Any advice would be much appreciated. Our solicitor seems concerned by it and council seem to think its a simple process for us to get it certified.

Perthguy likes this.
  2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Get onto whoever specifically will issue the paperwork to finalize it and get a price. Once you know it can be done and the cost you lose the mystery. You might be able to ask for the vendor to cover the cost.

3. grace23

grace23 New Member

the original certifier is "disengaged " . We know council can do it for us and the cost. I guess I'm asking really if theres any huge risks involved or are we being over cautious.We know theres no structural defects from our own inspection but I'm cautious because of the age of the pool, plus council said they do it based on current condition and current building regs. Thanks Wylie.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

If you know there are no structural effects and know it will be passed that is what the vendor could have done and you would not even be aware if this (unless I'm missing something).

If they got it passed before listing, would you still be worried?

5. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

^ ^ this is mostly what you need. They just haven't done the final inspection, like many vendors. The pool is in and it has a certificate - just make your offer to buy the property if you like it.

Your soli is paid by you to give advice from a legal perspective which is fine, but not too much of an issue IMO.

wylie likes this.