Pool non-complaince

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by LCC, 17th Jun, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LCC

LCC Member

Hi there

I am currently looking to purchase / upgrade my PPOR and the house I am looking at has a pool with a certificate of non-compliance.

We’ve been trying to get clear answers from the agent on the issues but just hitting a dead end. The certificate outlines that part of the issue is around non-climable zones. I’ve tried reading up on the rules and can’t exactly spot the issue. I’ve attached a few pics - any one have experience that can shed some light? I can only assume it’s due to the deck butting up against the pool fence.

Trying to figure out if there is an easy solution or I should be factoring in a large outlay to get it fixed as part of what I am willing to pay!

Many thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Photo 2 - trees and the climbable structure against the fence?

3. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

Nothing serious - probably a few hundred dollars. Looks like some objects in non climbable zone.

4. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Hose reel might be an issue too…

5. Doncossack

Doncossack Active Member

Pool house not 1800mm high if that's a boundary fence behind it, also plants alongside the boundary fence which should have a 500mm clear zone.. Which state?

6. LCC

LCC Member

Thanks everyone. I am in NSW.

Yes that’s the boundary fence in photo 2 to the LHS and back. The back box houses the pool filter / pump - would it be sufficient to change the housing so it was 1800mm tall and aligned to the fence height? The agent today was seeming to suggest to move it outside the pool area which I’d rather not do if I don’t have too.

If we are successful the other things seem like easy fixes - will move the trees and storage box on the LHS.

7. standtall

Sorry I didn’t realise the box in the picture was a filter box.

You can’t move the pool filter box without spending thousands of dollars.

Issue is not the height of pool box, it’s that there should not be any foothold surface within 900m from the top of boundary fence so if a kid climbs from other side, they shouldn’t be able to step on something to jump into your pool area. If you raise it to 1800mm, you have just created a massive foothold. Now the trouble is that you can’t go higher than 2.1m fence height in NSW without council approval. Your best bet is to hope that there is at least 600 clearance between top of filter box and then you would need to raise the boundary fence by 300mm.

How was the pool approved in the first place? Do they have an occupational certificate for the pool? If not, I will walk away from the purchase.

Edit: lowering filter box or just getting rid of it might resolve all your issues but filter will look ugly without box and neighbours will hate the noise.

Last edited: 18th Jun, 2022
  8. LCC

LCC Member

Thanks @standtall … there is a registration certificate dated back from Dec 2013. From what I can see it looks like it should have complied with the latest laws so not sure what happened - they must have done some mods since then ‍♀️

The boundary fence is also non-compliant. We think it’s about 1.2m, so it would need a topper of some sort. Given the box is already below this height, if we went to the max allowable fence height seems like it would solve the filter issue. I agree I didn’t really want the headache or expense of trying to move that within 90 days of buying the place!

9. standtall

Only if the boundary is at least 900 higher than filter box while not being higher than 2100mm. Using boundary fence as pool fence is never a good idea.

Stoffo likes this.