Plumbing Pointers for Tennants

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by st66, 27th Jun, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. st66

st66 New Member

As a plumber who is constantly encountering avoidable problems cased by Tennants, i've put together this list simple dos and don’ts which would be beneficial to provide at the start of a new tenancy.

· DO NOT PUT A TOILET FRESHENER (EG BLUE LOO) IN THE TOILET CISTERN

· HEAT EXCHANGE HOT WATER HEATERS (EG SAXONS) REQUIRE TOPPING UP REGULARLY (3 MONTHS)

· DO NOT TURN TAPS OFF TOO HARD

· DETERMINE LOCATION OF STOP COCKS FOR TURNING OFF THE WATER SUPPLY. THIS INFO IS CRITICAL AND REQUIRED AT SHORT NOTICE IN AN EMERGENCY

· LIMIT THE AMOUNT OF WATER SPILT/ SPLASHED ON THE BATHROOM FLOOR

· DO NOT PUSH THE SHOWER ROSE DOWN AGAINST THE SHOWER WALL – CAUSES WATER TO LEAK BEHIND TAP FLANGES

· USE GARBAGE DISPOSAL UNIT REGULARLY – PREVENTS RUSTING

· VENTILATION – OPEN WINDOWS AND USE EXHAUST FANS

· CLEAN FLOOR WASTE GULLY (BATHROOMS) WITH DISINFECTANT TO ALLEVIATE ODOUR PROBLEMS

· DO NOT FLUSH SANITARY ITEMS DOWN THE TOILET

· USE A PLUNGER AS FIRST STEP FOR MINOR BLOCKAGES

· WHEN REPORTING PROBLEMS TO THE PROPERTY MANAGER PLEASE BE SPECIFIC EG MAIN TOILET OR ENSUITE TOILET

If you have any other to add to the list please let me know :)

New Town, SeafordSunshine and willair like this.
  2. Mat

Mat Well-Known Member

I like the idea, but a few of those use overly technical terms that tenants may not know. For example - "Stop Cocks"? Most tenants will think you're talking about the kids when they're trying to pick up on Tinder! "Floor Waste Gully"? "Shower Rose"? "Tap Flanges"?

And what's a Heat Exchange Hot Water Heater, and how would it be topped up? If it's required, why isn't the PM arranging it, etc?

Last edited by a moderator: 3rd Jul, 2018
  3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Always diy or get a handy man to do the plumbing work as plumbers charge to much!

And a good plumber knows plungers are rubbish. Try hand soap first to lube the load then always go for a mop instead of a plunger :cool:

Scott No Mates likes this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Most importantly - 5#¡+ doesn't flow uphill. Evacuate to higher ground.

5. G..

G.. Well-Known Member

I agree... The money I've saved relighting HWS pilot lights, replacing tap washers, or simple unclogs is quite significant, although I do have a regular plumber who is well worth the money for many other jobs.

I've had good results with plungers once I figured out the trick.
    The secret is to get *all* of the air out. For example in a kitchen sink, I put the plug in and half fill the sink, then I put the plunger in and lift the rubber on the side to let all the air trapped under the rubber part out, then I slide the plunger away from the plug (so the air in the drain pipe doesn't fill the plunger up again) and pull out the plug. Once the water is backing up in the drain pipe (i.e. all the air has come out) then I slide the plunger across the hole and pump vigorously 5 or 6 times.

If you have air in the plunger or pipe then it just acts as a cushion and makes the plunger almost completely ineffective.

6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Sound advice ;)

But shoving a mop into a dunny has wondrous, mystical powers :cool:

7. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

:eek:Do not close taps with a hammer!
    Yes I just received the bill......

bob shovel likes this.
  8. CowPat

CowPat Well-Known Member