Plumbing Issues...Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by dmb1978, 23rd Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. dmb1978

dmb1978 Well-Known Member

Long story short our latest IP has plumbing issues. According to the latest quote it's not as bad as it seems and we should be able to get most of it fixed easily.

What concerns me is a month in we received an inspection report with pictures. The report requested the tenant clean a stained bedroom carpet and check the washing machine drainage.

Not long after this we get told that there was an emergency leak from the laundry which managed to get into two nearby bedrooms causing $500+ worth of carpet cleaning. As it involved the bedroom that required cleaning I decided to checkout the photos a bit closer. This was when i discovered that the tenants had put in a massive washing machine which would not have fit into the existing space causing the basin to have to be removed. There were also several towels/mats on the floor in front of the machine suggesting a leak, hence the request on the report.

The plumbing quote photos showed the basin missing and the washing machine pipe placed loosely into a pipe coming out of the ground. We also discovered pet bowls which revealed a cat at the premises most likely responsible for the original stains.

So my question is, can the tenant remove a laundry basin from the laundry and if they have done this themselves and caused the leak/flood do I have any recourse as a landlord to make them put it back in etc?

I have asked the PM to seek clarification as it all seems a bit coincidental to me but you never know.

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Did they remove the laundry tub?
    Any damaged caused when removing it? (Apart from water)

Sounds like their washing machine hose has come out and flooded the rooms. If so that's on them

Probably would have been best they called the pm to let them know about the washing machine and laundry situation but if no damage caused by removing it may not be a big deal. Provided they put back upon exiting

3. dmb1978

dmb1978 Well-Known Member

Still waiting on clarification on whether they removed it or the plumber but we have already paid the emergency carpet cleaning bill. It would have had to be removed to fit their washer. The inspection report requested they check their machine for leaks but of course they said that it was fine. Next minute a laundry, bathroom and two bedrooms flooded. Hope they havent thrown it out?
    Just feel like we have been duped into paying the carpet cleaning on this one.