plumbing issue after building inspection report

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by bya38, 30th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. bya38

bya38 Well-Known Member

we made the building inspection report today, nothing major in structural, but we find those issues

1- cracks in the wall. (nothing to worry about)
    2- Asbestos in the wall, I guess, it is common as it was built in 1970
    3- two windows that do not close ( some foundation movement, it seems)
    4- bathroom tiles needs to be replaced
    5- garage motor does not work
    6- pool cleaner crawler does not work
    7- bathroom floor drain is removed from the plumbing, so if there are water on the floor, it will go straight to the ground floor, that's my biggest issue

the property was rented, how the owner did not fixed an issue like this is beyond me

the REA agent told me to send him an email with the issues and the owner will fix it or ask for a discount, now I am a bit nervous, I paid already 6k above the asking price, and not sure if i made the write call, my solicitor advise that i need to send those request by him as there is no guaranty that the owner will fix it.

the contract crashed already with the first buyer due to finance ( according to REA), now I am wondering if this is not true, or do you think it is another FHB overreaction ?

Last edited: 30th Oct, 2018
  2. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I'd be worried about 4 too (probably asbestos behind the tiles, and it's probably re-tiling an entire area?)

If you still want it, get a quote done on the repairs, and ask for the discount - don't let them do a "fix".

Otherwise, crash the contract,

The Y-man

Lindsay_W and bya38 like this.
  3. bya38

bya38 Well-Known Member

I Will ask for a quote, but do you have a vague idea how much those repairs will cost, I am a total clueless

4. The Y-man

~$5k at a guess. Not surprised if more. Make sure you get YOUR tradie to quote. Not theirs.

The Y-man

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

The building inspector should be able to give you an idea of the cost to fix these things. Or get in a builder to quote. Then make the decision about going ahead or moving to the next one.

bya38 likes this.
  6. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I would be nervous also,the first three hopefully will just be in one section and if the wall are Asbestos the rest of the house will be ,and maybe a few stumps need to be repacked to level the frame out..
    Garage motor -pool -are easy fix-..
    The bathroom would need a total refit that's the main cost factor from the floor up..Only my opinion but unless this is on a large block of inner city land ,then I would be talking too your legal team and walk on the defects on the building report ,some thing like this could blow out above 30k..imho

bya38 likes this.
  7. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

just remember, the building inspectors job is to pick at everything, and unless its a brand new they will find issues and make the house like its falling down

number 4 coiuld be just the window frames getting bowed due to heat and moisture, but it could be something more serious

bya38 and Lindsay_W like this.
  8. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

I agree with this, I've never seen a building inspection report with nothing on it, sometimes even with new homes they can find issues. It's hard not to think "Jeez I have to spend all this money to fix those issues" when in reality they might not be urgent at all, people have been living there and haven't had a problem (well at least not big enough to report anything to the landlord).
    In the Op's case, I would be asking the inspector why the bathroom tiles need replacing, all of them? or just a certain section? etc. Ripping out and re-tiling a whole bathroom can be pretty expensive, not ideal when you've just put a chunk of savings down for deposit.

bya38 likes this.
  9. bya38

bya38 Well-Known Member

(well at least not big enough to report anything to the landlord), I think the landlord did not bother to fix it, I spoke with the a plumber and he told me , it is illegal to remove a pipe from the drain when the bathroom is upstairs.

Lindsay_W likes this.
  10. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Another tip.. Just give the inspector a call and ask them.

Often they will tell you stuff on the phone that they cannot put on paper

wylie and The Y-man like this.
  11. The Y-man

It's actually for this reason we will try to attend the property with the inspector ~ 1. to learn what they do (which they are happy to explain) and 2. as stated above, they will actually say things like "I'm putting this on the report as a record, but I really don't think you need to touch it"

The Y-man

bya38, wylie and TMNT like this.
  12. The Y-man

bya38 likes this.
  13. bya38

bya38 Well-Known Member

a little update, asked for a 15K discount, the seller come back with 10K very quickly, the solicitor sent a letter, waiting for their reply, I hope we are doing the right thing.