Plumber overservicing and overcharging

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by Burramys, 4th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

A friend of mine in Melbourne who knows very little about plumbing needed a plumbing job done. The garden tap had fallen off late on a Friday, rust, and had to be replaced. I attended on the Saturday and made a temporary fix (wad of paper, glue, 19 mm OD cap hammered in) so that at least the water could be turned on. The glue was Tarzan's grip. I left it for a few hours and there was only a slow leak with the main butterfly valve open a little. Happy. The $10 for the cap and glue easily saved a lot for a Saturday callout.

I wrote a detailed specification describing the job, keyed onto the plumbing website, and asking that a quotation be provided for replacing flexible hoses under the sink, laundry trough and basin with copper pipe. I knew the kitchen mixer was suss, but this could wait. I gave my email and said to contact me for technical questions The company emailed me and asked about a contact number for my friend. Um, it's next to my email in the job spec.

I was stunned when the invoice arrived - $898 for 3.5 hours of work. The plumber had persuaded my friend that a new kitchen mixer was needed, with flexible hoses. I've been getting details from the plumber and have now learned that the person that did the job did not get the job specification.

It seems to me that the plumbing company was remiss in not providing the details of the job to the person that did the job. The invoice total seems to me to be excessive for two taps and 3.5 hours of work. It also seems to me that the plumber preyed on a person who knows very little about such matters and did much more than was required. Interestingly, the tap has a 15 year warranty, but not the hose.

Have any rules been broken? Has the plumbing company overcharged for this job? What actions should we take? Any other comments?

Perthguy likes this.
  2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

What mixer is it ?

For some that could be cheap

Ta
    Rolfl

3. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

You seem pretty keen to try and pin blame on the plumber or company, but really it seems like an issue between you and your friend.

4. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

So the job was replace the garden tap, and replace the three sets of flexible connectors with copper pipe?

What was the quote for that?

5. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

If your friend was there and gave the go ahead for these items to be replaced, and he was the client, then the plumber has not done anything wrong. Did you ask for a quote for the hourly rate? The expensive ones charge a call out fee of about $125, then about $50-70 1/4 hourly a Maybe you called one of them, they also add on the cost of materials plus the cost of the mixer. The mixer would have been atleast $80 if using the cheapest nastiest. You really should have been there or had them call you to confirm over the phone pricing before they started work after they had inspected.

6. Burramys

Burramys Well-Known Member

I do not know what sort of mixer it is - the invoice does not say. I've allowed $200 for this. I was acting for my friend when I wrote the specification, and am now acting again. The plumber ignored my friend's advice. I cannot be there for all these sorts of jobs, which is why I wrote the specification.

The job was to replace the garden tap and quote on the flexible hoses, nothing more. The plumber was preying on my friend's lack of expertise in this area. The invoice has no breakdown of items and hourly rate, and the plumber will not provide same. There is no description of the tap and mixer, along the lines brand, model, water star rating, another issue I hope to clarify. Replacing a tap and a mixer with 3.5 hours of time costing $888 seems excessive. Not using the specification is unprofessional.

7. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Best to leave it to your friend and the plumber to sort out.

8. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

When something similar happened to us for a distant IP and the PM merely resent the same invoice, I informed the plumbing company that I wouldn't pay their bill until I received a complete invoice. When their office girl replied that they dont give out complete invoices, I reaffirmed that I wont be paying an incomplete invoice.

Tom Rivera and wylie like this.
  9. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

The mixer insert replacement part from Bunnings for mine was under $25..........flexible braided hoses with 15 year warranty from Bunnings $7.95 each. I have not had a plumber at my home for more than 12years due to potentially what has happened above.....

10. Rolf Latham

can ur friend send a photo ?

ta
    rolf

11. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Interesting in understanding this (not saying you're wrong in any way btw), but what's wrong with flexi hoses? they work fine for 10+ years if installed properly. Why the need to go copper?

12. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

neK and HUGH72 like this.
  13. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

They fail, I have had 2 burst in separate bathrooms causing considerable water damage. Both less than 10years old. Never again, copper lasts much longer.

neK likes this.
  14. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Usually they will leak slowly. A tell tale sign to replace.

That plumber is expensive....I'd crack up if charged that much. Talk about cracking the jack pot. I'd ring him and tell him to pull his head in and his pants up for charging that much.

15. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I've noticed in new builds they don't use copper either. Instead its just plastic pipes. Same with gas, no copper, just yellow plastic.

Are these any good, or will these leak as well over time?

16. Rolf Latham

well.................... we are told plastic doesnt break down and last a million years in the environment - so no placky shopping bags, how come that doesnt work for my plastic parts on playgrounds, boats or other exposure situations ?

I think most stabilised PE will last 25 to 40 years at least

ta

rolf

17. Random Username

Random Username Well-Known Member

Unless it's eaten by mice or rats...........

SarahD and Joynz like this.
  18. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Yet people complain about the cost of construction - these materials are cheaper than many of the alternatives. I'd still be using clay pipe sewer, stormwater and galv steel downpipes if that wasn't the case.

Does copper ever leak? Duh!

19. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Nothing lasts forever but they should last a lifetime.

20. S.T

S.T Well-Known Member

Ask for an itemised invoice.