QLD Please rank my choice of Brisbane suburbs for ppor

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by kanad, 18th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. kanad

kanad Well-Known Member

I have now entered the serious phase of my search for a new house to live in Brisbane and have appointed a Buyers Agent. My criteria is less than 25 years old, renovated or well maintained 4br / 2bath/ double locked garage, non-Queenslander type. My budget is $1 - $1.1m. Since we will be moving from Melbourne and have close friend in McDowall and Everton Hills we have shortlisted the following suburbs after talking to them. I like the nature on this side of Brisbane. I will be mostly WFH. Can someone please rank them in preference order. I just want to see peoples views. Normally in Melbourne I would just choose the closest suburb to city that I can afford.

Personally I am preferring The Gap, Everton Hills, Stafford Heights, Mitchelton, Alderley, Kenmore, Chapel Hills based on Google views, I haven't visited these areas before

North
    Alderley
    Enoggera
    Kedron
    Stafford
    Stafford Heights
    Wavell Heights
    North West
    Arana Hills
    Everton Hills
    Everton Park
    Ferny Grove
    Ferny Hills
    Keperra
    McDowall
    Bridgeman Downs
    Mitchelton
    The Gap
    West
    Kenmore
    Kenmore Hills
    Chapel Hills

2. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

South?

3. kanad

kanad Well-Known Member

As I said we want closer to our friends and I liked the nature areas, not looking initially on South side.

4. LP7

LP7 Well-Known Member

Throw in Chermside West and Aspley. Carseldine and Geebung are also in the area if you want train accessibility to the CBD.

Also do some research on schools and catchments if you plan on having a family / have a family. Some very good schools and not so great schools in the suburbs you've listed which are essential to take into account.

Last edited: 18th Oct, 2021
    PinkPanther likes this.
  5. james0286

james0286 Member

These are all great suburbs.

I’m also from Melbourne and I can tell you - breeze and views command a premium in Brisbane.

I’d recommend buying in to one of the suburbs undergoing rapid renewal at the moment. Wavell Heights and Kedron are the most recent suburbs to move from being “okay” middle ring suburbs to premium/prestige suburbs.

I think you may be priced out of Wavell and Kedron and definitely Alderley, so I’d therefore target Stafford/Stafford Heights, Everton Park, elevated streets of Mitchelton (toward Keperra), and Chapel Hill.

Good luck and I’m happy to be corrected if you can squeeze in to Alderley for under $1.1m on elevation!

PinkPanther and vbplease like this.
  6. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

North
    Alderley
    Enoggera is my choice.
    Brought my daughter a 4 b/r house with drive under garage , full section in Enoggera for $340k was good value (a few years ago) while being close to the city.
    She liked the area and brought another home close by in Alderley.
    You probably need to pay $500k + now.

7. Headlong

Headlong Well-Known Member

I like:
    Stafford heights,Mitchelton,Enoggera,Keperra,Ferny Grove

I think you're priced out of:
    Kenmore, The Gap, Alderley, Kedron, Bridgeman Downs

Too many buyers and not enough (decent) properties:
    The Gap, Chapel Hill,Wavell Heights, Kedron, Stafford

BB5 likes this.
  8. Jellybeans123

Jellybeans123 Member

I think this criteria of being 25 years old will limit your selection to the new estates. Upper Kedron is near Ferny Grove (same post code) 12km to city, big beautiful McMansion type houses. Most of the houses I’ve seen in your suburb selection are 80’s brick veneer or a Queenslander. Good luck on your house hunting journey, I’m sure you will really enjoy living here.

ycdfdyan, standtall and james0286 like this.
  9. james0286

james0286 Member

That’s true, I overlooked the new home criteria ...

10. Luca

Luca Well-Known Member

Another VIctorian moving to Brisbane, well done.

LP7 and james0286 like this.
  11. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Stoffo likes this.
  13. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Some amazing homes within your budget in Albany Creek and Eatons Hill (if any are for sale)

14. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

Well I wasn't suggesting that one as it has already sold. More an example of what's in that area compared to the 70s builds at the other end.

Saying that one sold for 1.2 million down that street a few months back so obviously the tip doesn't affect prices much!

Angel likes this.
  15. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Yeah I know. Just suggesting the tip may put off some potential buyers. The tip doesn't seem to smell any more since it was upgraded. Homes at the very top of the hill nearby are superb!

BB5 likes this.
  16. BB5

BB5 Well-Known Member

Just further, I like most of the suburbs for North but would be a struggle under the budget and wouldn't meet criteria of newer build.

As you WFH you could probably pick and of the suburbs on your NW even those with dodgy public transport (McDowall,Stafford heights,Bridgeman downs). I'd probably discount Keperra as these other suburbs are nicer for a PPOR.

Don't really have an opinion on the west suburbs. Budget may be an issue, get more for your money in NW

vbplease likes this.
  17. kanad

kanad Well-Known Member

1 week and I can understand that prices have really shot up. $1.4m is required to get ideal kind of houses I like. Otherwise all I am seeing is 3br 1bath older houses.

How is Samford Valley?

18. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Beautiful.

19. kanad

kanad Well-Known Member

Thank you all. I have purchased my property, perhaps in a rush but I wanted to settle and get in just after QLD border opens for Victorians. I paid at my highest approved loan value from bank, would have liked to be 50k-100k lower and now have no money left for any quick reno , ha ha.

momentum26 and Stoffo like this.
  20. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

Imho better to just pay up in this market than to try and save $50k-$100k. Trying to skimp and save in a heated market almost always never works and the rate at which Brissy is rising is just crazy.

5 years down the track from now it wont mean much if its your PPOR in the long term and you will be glad you done it.

vbplease and PinkPanther like this.