Playing with FIRE

Discussion in 'Financial Independence, Retire Early (FIRE)' started by Redwing, 14th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Well-Known Member

Use this
    :p

2. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Winking Face With Tongue
    A yellow face sticking out its tongue and making a zany wink, usually shown with its right eye closed and left wide open. Often conveys a sense of fun, excitement, wackiness, buffoonery, or joking.

More emoji's needed :D

Nauseated Face

3. Cmelderis

Cmelderis Well-Known Member

When is the doco going to be available to watch online/netflix etc?
    Anyone here can recommend a FP in Perth who believes in the FIRE strategy? Trying to help my o/h see the benefits and logic of the movement

4. Anne11

Anne11 Well-Known Member

5. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

On VIMEO $14.63

Watch Playing with FIRE Online | Vimeo On Demand

Featuring: Mr. Money Mustache, Vicki Robin, Mad FIentist, JD Roth, The Minimalists, Paula Pant, JL Collins, ChooseFI, Millennial Revolution, Ryan Holiday, Millennial Money, rich & Regular, Tanja Hester, Jocelyn Peonita Pearson and Chris Hutchins

6. lamecrocs

lamecrocs Well-Known Member

Google Movie has a special promo at the moment, rent any movies for $1.49!

Since I've been following this forum for a while now, the content is not new to me (at least) but I find it entertaining, refreshing and educational at the same time as I watched it with my friends and relatives (for some of them, this is one of the non fictional movie that they can use to improve their life).

kad, oddshapes and Redwing like this.
  7. Synergy

Synergy Well-Known Member

This is currently free until next week

password is FIRE in caps

8. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

Saw this at a free public screening earlier this week.

As a strong proponent of the FIRE concept, I have to say I cringed at how much the starring couple had to suffer in order to achieve their desired outcomes. The husband quit his well-paid job, the wife worked remotely full time (and therefore failed on her primary objective to spend more time with her daughter), they moved in with each of their parents for a few months and bought a house in nowheresville USA.

They could have achieved a similar financial outcome with far greater happiness by just moving to a more humble abode, perhaps away from the beach they never got to anyway, sold one or both of their luxury cars and bought some more moderate transport, and streamlined their food budget to take advantage of what foods are on sale in any given week and cut down a bit on going out. The husband could then have kept his job and the wife could have even worked shorter or less days a week to spend more time with their daughter and their savings rate would have improved drastically.

If I showed this movie to any of my family or friends, they'd rightfully say "see, look how much you have to give up to do this FIRE thing. No thanks!", whereas if they used a strategy like I outlined above, it would not seem anywhere near as tough and actually achievable without suffering for the average Joe, as it really is.

9. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

You'll enjoy reading this rant from StrongMoneyAustralia which pretty much proves that you don't need to suffer to stay the FI course

If the FIRE Journey Makes You Miserable, You're Doing it Wrong - Strong Money Australia

Snowball, DJC, kierank and 2 others like this.
  10. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

number 5, paulF, Snowball and 2 others like this.
  11. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

i watched the whole money. Thanks Synergy
    After all the fanfare I was a bit disappointed too. It was good to see some famous faces in the movie, such s MMM, but the two staring characters didn't really do much for me.

Redwing and kierank like this.
  12. HomePage

HomePage Well-Known Member

kierank likes this.
  13. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Yeah, sounds like a scammer to me. Bet ya he / she in real life inherited a multi million dollar share portfolio from a relative. You just can’t trust these internet bloggers I say. Evil I tell you, they’re all evil:D.

Last edited: 7th Dec, 2019
    number 5 likes this.
  14. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

They would have a @Snowball chance of knowing anything ;).

number 5, Snowball and Nodrog like this.
  15. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Yes in all seriousness a great bloke who has worked hard to acquire the knowledge and skill to make a go of the FIRE approach but I couldn’t resist a bit of mischief:cool:. I’m sure he knows me by now:). A stirrer by nature.

As for me I like life’s luxuries to much. “Morbidly obese FIRE” however might fit the description. I think I was responsible for the creation of that description. @kierank would understand that approach also I would think:cool::cool:.

Snowball and kierank like this.
  16. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Me too :D.
    I do.

Nothing like consuming an expensive bottle of Shiraz on a Saturday night while posting on PC :p.

17. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Only Saturday nighto_O?

kierank likes this.
  18. mtat

mtat Well-Known Member

Watching the doco now while browsing this thread, and I hear this:

Sounds pretty sad. Your relationship with money is challenged... and it leads to an existential crisis.

If you ignore the moving-back-in-with-your-parents and we-went-to-Hawaii-and-it-was-a-disaster that aren't essential to FI, then I enjoyed the documentary. But no way am I recommending it to anyone.

There's a difference between ultra delayed gratification and the "Mustachian school of thought". Very important.

Last edited: 7th Dec, 2019
    kierank likes this.
  19. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

So that's what you're really thinking about :)

20. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Agree. They should've stayed put in SD and cut back on some other expenses...including the cars. No point retiring early if you hate what you see/feel when you open the front door.

kierank likes this.