Plantation Shutters

Discussion in 'Styling & Decorating' started by Terrychris, 12th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Terrychris

Terrychris Well-Known Member

anyone can reccomend a Company in Sydney ???

2. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Unfortunately no but I'd also be interested to know some peoples experience for ballpark /sqm cost for made to measure & fit..... please

I've been told ~$600 /sqm (white timber) Is that about right? They seem exspensive....

3. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We paid (Brisbane) about $700(ish) maybe a bit more per window. Expensive, but double up as security, and look classy.

Sackie and Whitecat like this.
  4. Terrychris

Terrychris Well-Known Member

Apparently theres different types aluminium and wood, i love the wooden white ones but they are expensive .

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Ours look the same as wood, but they fit the Australian standard as a security device, which wood would never do. They are expensive though.

6. moridog

moridog Well-Known Member

I had some put in the granny flat, at the curtain ladies recommendation, I really wanted curtains. Cost about a thousand a room for two casement windows per room. You can open the top half and manipulate the light etc, not wood but some composite material. Bliss, you just wipe them straight over with a damp cloth, I absolutely love them.

7. Swamp

Swamp Well-Known Member

If your at all handy I've had good feedback on iseekblinds.com.au
    Have to put a flat pack together and screw to the window surrounds but around $300/m for basswood.

8. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

I got the same as Wylie. They are great. They do block light though

9. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

My mate does plantation shutters. What area are you in? I can give you his number if you want.

Whitecat likes this.
  10. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

We have used Kresta before (I do not recommend them) and then we used blindsonline.com.au - you need to measure them yourself but they give you a pretty easy template to do it. They were really economical and look fantastic, no issue with the size or installing them ourselves and the quality is better than what we got at Kresta. I would absolutely recommend them to anyone who's a little bit handy and can install themselves.

11. NewHomeOwner

NewHomeOwner Member

I know that in Brisbane/Gold Coast the going rate for premium solid polymer foam plantation shutters with an aluminium core is about $370-390 a sqm. More for sliding/bi-fold. Get as many quotes as you can though. There's a few companies who manufacture them in Australia too, so the wait is significantly less.

12. juxt1n

juxt1n Well-Known Member

I know these are very $$$ but i'm thinking of putting in PS as sliding doors (where you go out to the Alfresco). Currently i have 3 sections with glass sliding doors and tototally bare. Would blinds or drop down curtains be a lot cheaper?

13. NewHomeOwner

NewHomeOwner Member

Not necessarily "a lot" cheaper, but almost certainly less. However, would they look as nice? Probably not.

Sliding plantation shutter doors cost approximately $3800, incl. GST and installation (based on sizes of 1.2m width and 2.1m drop). Make sure any quotes you get include track. These prices are based on competitive quotes in the QLD market though. Could differ inter-state.

14. juxt1n

juxt1n Well-Known Member

Wow 1.2m wide and it's $3800, i think my glass doors are twice as wide. What bout drop down roller blinds (manual i hate to go electric and the motor dies in the middle of closing/openning) seem like it's a new thing now ?

15. NewHomeOwner

NewHomeOwner Member

That'd be for the whole system - 3.6m width in total (6 panels).

Roller blinds would work. They can look quite sharp too. My only issue with them is they are either open or closed - ALL the light or NONE of the light. For the difference in cost though, it's a minor grievance.

16. juxt1n

juxt1n Well-Known Member

Whole system as in one sliding door/panel? I have 3 sides that i can open to walk out to the Alfresco.

17. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Having just installed @20K worth of shutters as part of a renovation, and having gone through the process of getting 6 companies to quote, I can recommend these guys in Sydney.

Most affordable Window Shutters in Brisbane to Beautify your homes

I dont know why the link says Brisbane - they are Sydney based... :)

I went for timber in all areas except bathrooms, where I went with a PVC composite because of moisture considerations. You will save a few bucks by selecting the PVC composite material, but the timber just looks that little bit classier

Installation went without a hitch.

2017-09-14 14.42.18.jpg 2017-09-14 14.42.33.jpg 2017-09-15 09.30.13.jpg 2017-09-15 09.30.17.jpg 2017-09-15 09.54.12.jpg 2017-09-15 14.12.28.jpg 2017-09-15 14.15.44.jpg 2017-09-15 14.16.50.jpg 2017-09-15 14.17.28.jpg

broc119, Stoffo and radson like this.
  18. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia

Shutters for sliding doors are ungainly unfortunately. We have 2 x sets of sliding doors where we looked at doing shutters and decided against it. They dont sit flush with the existing door. Either roller blinds, verticals or curtains will do the job in a far more practical way. Wont look quite as good - well some nice sheer patterned white curtains with a one way pull might - but the chunkiness of plantations for sliding doors just makes them kinds...blah

Here's a company to talk with RE curtains Curtains Sydney - Custom Made & Installed in 7-14 Days

19. juxt1n

juxt1n Well-Known Member

I'm moving away from plantation shutters for sliding doors now too pricey i think.

What about remote electric Blinds from top to bottom covering the sliding doors? Can i get rails to the sides as i do not want them to bend. Also what happens if the motor fails midway has anyone come across this issue?

Last edited: 17th Oct, 2017
  20. qak

qak Well-Known Member

I was considering shutters for our lounge, but these particular windows get full sun and I was concerned about the longevity of shutters that may be plastic based or have plastic fittings on each moving part. We have painted cedar shutters upstairs, with metal fittings, but the supplier moved to Qld - or we would have used him again.