Pipe outside easement

Discussion in 'Development' started by Connor, 28th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Connor

Connor Well-Known Member

hi guys, I'm in the process of doing a subdivision on a corner block I recently purchased, where I'm retaining the existing house and building a unit behind fronting the side street. All was going well with the drafting of the new unit until we found out that the sewer pipe that runs along the back 1.82m easement of the property is running outside the designated easement boundary.
    Has anyone had any experience with this and is there any recourse with Yarra valley water possible relocating the pipe back to within the easement? (Prob highly unlikely)..

The pipe is 600mm wide with boundary 2.36m from the fence. Because of the size of the pipe I'll need to leave 1m clearance from it before I can build. So all up I lose 4m from the fence.

Any advice or anyone with a similar experience would be really appreciated

Connor

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Probably Buckley's chance of getting the pipe moved however it wouldn't hurt to put it to YVW that you'll agree to relocate the easement (they won't move the pipe) if they do the concrete encasement/pier and beam.

Connor likes this.
  3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Is the pipe 600diameter ?
    You could move a sewer main but it would involve extra man holes and a by pass setup. You'd need a good reason for council to allow it plus deep pockets

4. bob shovel

I'll put money in it the easement is for something else, probably storm water. And the sewer is in the right location

5. Connor

Connor Well-Known Member

Yeah Bob it's 600mm diameter.

A real pain as the original decent size 3 bedroom design now needs to become a smaller 2br unit.

6. bob shovel

Whoa you got no chance touching that bad boy

That's big dollars!! The easement may be for a second pipe but could be an error with the original plans. Got a drawing?

Id check that one metre clearance too,they'd want more than that I'd say. They'd want a 3m easement. But building you need to be well clear

7. Connor

Connor Well-Known Member

yeah i was expecting maybe a 225mm pipe but when it came back at 600mm it was a shock! Yeah I've checked the requirements and any pipe over 225mm they need a metre clearance from the asset. Under 225mm and its only 600mm clearance required.

The easement really should be 3m though for a pipe like that.

Depth is 6.99m

8. 3712

3712 Member

this is a serious pipe will cost a bomb to relocate plus you need inspection pits/manholes as required. contractors are tied to asset holder so fees can be more than what a normal plumber will charge.