Photos

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 11th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

@geoffw ]I was gonna buy an expensive Nikon camera but I think I'll listen to you and just use my Samsung for now.

2. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

I was having a chat with a photography mate the other day and we were talking about entry level DLSR vs the pro ones and it's almost the wrong way around with what people buy. The newbie will buy the entry level DSLR that is basic and will come with a pretty basic lens where to have photos looking half decent you need a bit of skill to do that as it requires a lot more manipulation behind the scenes. Whereas the high end DSLR's just about do all the work for you and doesn't take much to make a photo look good because it's all done in camera.

3. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

Agree with Kinnon, Im a keen photographer and use a decent DSLR Canon 40D with expensive lenses and filters etc. It makes a difference assured. But as others have said, composition and subject are important to making a great photo.
    Best thing is, everyone is different and have different views. Thats what makes it art.

This one is a 2 row stitch pano field of view about 180deg°. Can be enlarged to 5ft wide and still look sharp. Not this sample of course but the master file can.
    Busselton Jetty, WA.
    busso_jetty_pano.jpg

Use of a ND filter over the sky portion has allowed for foreground highlight whilst keeping sky from "blowing out".
    Sunset over the sand dunes near Lancelin, WA.
    dunescape_srgb.jpg

Another with ND filter placed over sky portion.
    Sunset at "The Pinnacles" WA.
    pinnacles_sunset copy.jpg

And just sometimes you have to stop driving turn back and take that image that flashed by.
    Mt King William, TAS.
    mt_king_william.jpg

And then there is manipulation....manufactured art I call it.
    Original shot out of the camera.
    rising_fog.jpg

Cropped & flipped then placed horse and rider in to balance things a bit and make it pop.
    early_start.jpg

4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Many cameras have advanced controls, which allow you to get pictures in situations where you might have trouble otherwise. Night lights can be difficult without extra control; as can bright backlights. You may well have take photos where the person's face is very dark but the background is properly lit.

@Phar Lap has used a technique to keep sky and foreground both properly exposed, which is a technique you won't have (ND = neutral density, it's used to keep one part of the picture from looking too washed out). You (possibly) won't be able to use that technique with a phone, but learn to see pictures, and learn the controls you have.

A full camera will give you a whole lot more control, and give better pictures. There's no doubt that a very good camera will give you very good results. Like skiing or golf- good equipment can really make a difference to somebody who has a little more than a basic level of ability, but if you just want to see if you like it, don't spend the big bucks until you've had a go.

You can even hire good equipment before you go to the next level.

Phar Lap and Sackie like this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

The last one, wow:) Thanks for sharing

6. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Holy **** those photos are the boss!!

What do you mean by "composition and subject are important"? I literally know nothing about photography..

Thanks

7. geoffw

There's a lot of stuff available on the web. Just Google Photo composition.

Have a look at photos posted here just to start, but there's photos everywhere. Some are obviously better than others. For the ones you like, what makes it a good photograph? Angle of viewing, lighting, colour for starters? For some, there's nothing you can see.

Then do some online stuff on composition. (Bear in mind that for every "rule", there's exceptions which can work well, but they are good guidelines to start off with).

Go back to those photos you've liked. Is there something you can see now?

I regard myself only a bit better than a happy snapper. That might be enough for you. At least for now.

You are fortunate that now you can take so many good pictures for such little cost these days, and the quality is far better than in the day of film cameras. Even your phone probably takes better photos than some of the film cameras from my time. So learn a little, go out and practice it. Look at your pictures critically, what you did right and what you did wrong. Rinse and repeat.

Sackie likes this.
  8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

OK I'm gonna do some reading and research on what you said, then it'll start to make more sense.
    My wife always wanted me to learn how to take really good photos... but I think she envisions she will be in all of them too haha..

Thanks

Phar Lap likes this.
  9. geoffw

Take pictures of your wife! Even better if you can be in them too. In 20 years time that's what you will remember. If it's a holiday, some of those photos will be the ones that make you smile the most.

But also take pictures without her. They are the ones you have more freedom with.

A few newby hints.

Turn your camera sideways sometimes, see if the picture is better wider or higher.

Make sure that the centre of attention is in focus.

If a person is the main subject, don't take the picture from too far away (unless you want the surroundings to feature too). And not to close either. Don't choose off their heads and legs.

Don't just take photos at eye level. Look low and look high to try to add a little uniqueness to your shots.

Phar Lap and Sackie like this.
  10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Thanks I will try and play around with that. Always curious why some cameras or phones, when you take the photo you look much fatter in the photo than in real life..

11. TadhgMor

TadhgMor Well-Known Member

Here's a tiny butterfly, only a 2cm across.
    upload_2017-6-30_17-5-36.png

sharon, BKRinvesting, Bayview and 4 others like this.
  12. Phar Lap

Geoff said: "Don't just take photos at eye level. Look low and look high to try to add a little uniqueness to your shots."

This is the key to good composition and viewpoint.
    We walk around this earth all our lives looking at things from the height off the ground of our own eyes.
    Overtime we see something from a bit higher or bit lower or extremely higher or lower we tend to love it because it's a unique viewpoint, unlike our usual viewpoint. Make it more attractive to our eyes and brain processing it.

Try laying on your back on the ground and take a photo of your kids, or dog, or anything you want as the subject, pan the shot left and right, up & down like Geoff said. You will find a difference to your shots.
    As Geoff said there are plenty of "rules", but, rules are meant to be broken too, so don't get too hung up on rules.
    Look at the photos you love and then analyse them as to what you think has been done to make them pop.
    Technical skill does come into it obviously when it comes to processing your photography.
    These days it's 99% digital, but even in the old days of film, "manipulation" was possible and did happen, but it should not be called manipulation rather, processing to get the result you wanted. There is a definite skill in that so manipulation is not a word friendly to the process of photography.

Anyway, banging on here a bit, hope this inspires others to go on and have a go, best thing today is you can snap away and get instant result and if not happy, try again, and again, and again until you are happy with that shot. After that, learn about how to process your "film" and make a great "print".

:)

MTR, Sackie, ellejay and 1 other person like this.
  13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

First photo capture :oops:

20170702_170507.jpg

Gladys, MTR and ellejay like this.
  14. Phar Lap

Hi Leo,
    Can you tell us what it was your were hoping to highlight/capture, the thought process behind the final execution?

15. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I liked the look of the car and the number plate...i don't think i gave deeper thought beyond that. Not a serious attempt,
    Tbh i wasn't expecting such a serious critique.
    I'll try a more thoughtful shot next time mate.

16. Phar Lap

Ok, yes, good subject. Wonder why the owner didn't get like the most expensive number plate available? But I guess they only have coin and not $$$, :p

Sackie likes this.
  17. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

The Lakes District in the UK

Lakes District.jpg

sharon, Tranquilo, Marg4000 and 6 others like this.
  18. ross100

ross100 Well-Known Member

Looks like the car owner has lots to do with "B"itCoin hmm...my thought process Phar Lap

Sackie likes this.
  19. TadhgMor

TadhgMor Well-Known Member

@Dan Donoghue that's a brilliant photo! looks like a painting :)

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  20. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

I was lucky, i was stood in fog and it just looked amazing, i was stoked when the pic came out like that, done on a very old camera with a max res of 640X480. Whilst I love the photo, I can only imagine how much better it would be if it was on modern equipment, the res is not good enough to get printed on a canvas unfortunately :(.

I might add however, there is no skill in this shot, it is pure fluke. I know nothing about photography :).

Sackie likes this.