Photos - ready for sale

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Angel13, 28th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Angel13

Angel13 Well-Known Member

I first joined SS in 2011 when we were building our house. After 4 years we're ready to move on to the next adventure. We have our first open home tomorrow.

I just wanted to share some photos. Hubby built it and I styled it.

I can only post 10 pics so if you want to see more you can check it out here.

http://m.allhomes.com.au/listing/170925077?mode=buy

Attached Files:

Chee, EN710, jaredcosta and 11 others like this.
  2. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

Angel13 likes this.
  3. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

:):):) wow! Nice pad! And your leaving?? I hope there's a new build we'll get to follow!

Is that a concrete bench top? (on phone atm) did mr angel do that?

I'm don't normally care much for wir but that's impressive

Angel13 likes this.
  4. Angel13

Thank you Bob :)

Yes hubby made the concrete benchtop and most of everything else. It's one of my favourite things in the house along with the stairs, outdoor movies and of course my shoe wall lol.

Our next build will take about a year as hubby plans to do everything himself except electrical, plumbing, drainage and we're just at excavation stage.

When this place sell we'll be moving into my mum's one bedroom granny flat until the new place is done. It's going to be a challenge going from a 5 bedroom house to a one bedroom place.

bob shovel likes this.
  5. Starlite

Starlite Well-Known Member

Hi Angel13,

Very impressive house.. the shoe wall is amazing :)
    I am sure its very hard moving out of the beautiful house..
    What are your strategies? Build and sell?

Angel13 likes this.
  6. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I remember that awesome staircase when you put it in. It's a really beautiful house. Good luck the next build - I love building!

Angel13 likes this.
  7. bob shovel

Wow great effort! if you want something done right do it yourself! My kind of guy

Do you know what sealer he used for the bench top? Or how he made it? I looked into making one too but changed plans. I did a test piece about 75mm thick with a piece of mesh for reo and extra at the corners. Not an easy thing to do! How have you found it to work off? Has there been any issue with stains? Or needing re-sealing or polishing?

8. S1mon

S1mon Well-Known Member

wowzballz
    :cool:
    looks awesome. that lamp sure has some reach! and is that an outdoor tv thingy

9. 380

380 Well-Known Member

@Angel13

Excellent styling and build!

Ticks all the box for ideal family home.

Chefs Kitchen
    Kid's room
    Shoe lover's wardrobe
    Entertaining outdoor cinema

Good job!

Angel13 likes this.
  10. Angel13

Thanks Starlite. My hubby is a building designer and builder. Earlier this year we made a decision that he will stop building contract homes so let go of all the employees, the office etc. Our future plan is to design unique modern houses (no matter how big or small they are), the type which would appeal to people like us :) He would do most of the work himself and sell it.

However the next house we are building is one we want to live in for the next 10-15 years. Another unique design with a central courtyard. A lot of glass and concrete. Going for a warm industrial (we love this style). He's trailing a different wall systems too.

I'll start another thread on this house soon as there is nothing standard about this house (in terms of building).

EN710, bob shovel and 380 like this.
  11. Angel13

HI S1mon, yes that's an outdoor cinema screen. We've had some great nights in. We also use Silent Party headphones when watching movies outside so not to disturb the neighbours :)

Esh likes this.
  12. 380

380 Well-Known Member

I love central courtyard home idea...if I ever built PPoR,it will be central courtyard home.

Would love to see that built too..I am sure it wil be kickarse too!

Builder with stylish touch is a winner combination for successful property developer!

I love creating zone within house and have useful meaning to it.

Angel13 likes this.
  13. Angel13

Hi Bob,

I'm not sure what sealers he used. I know he first used a penetrating sealer, then a non penetrating one and I know he also used wax to shine it up. I can ask him what sealer specifically and get back to you. Our bench is 60mm I think.

The first one he did on the ground and lifted it in place but it cracked. A combination of the mix not being right, not giving it enough time to cure and the stress it caused by moving it too early. It was also over 300kg and took 4 men to lift it in place. For this one he used a different mix and formed it up in place straight on the cabinetry and we haven't had any problems with cracking.

The sealer prevents anything from getting in. Water just beads on the bench. However we put a couple of hot coffee cups on the bench before the sealer really had a chance to dry and it peeled of the sealer in spots. He had to re-sand it and seal it. It's funny how much you learn once you do it yourself.

How did your test piece turn out? Are you going ahead and making a kitchen benchtop?

It's labour intensive but the end result is well worth the trouble in our opinion. 9 out of 10 people who walk in comment on how much they love the bench. I originally got a quote for getting it made from a place in Sydney and from memory it was going to cost $12K + $1K for shipping.

14. Starlite

Starlite Well-Known Member

I think you ticked all the boxes for a dream home... pretty sure there will be lots of emotional bidders at the auction who would love to call this their home.. a house my friend was looking to buy in Franklin sold for 150k above expectation... auction went to 945k.. and thats an average house.. All the best at the auction!

Looking forward for your next build.. Glass house and central courtyard.. sounds amazing!!
    Great job!

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

love all the photos, kitchen my favourite

all the best:)

Angel13 likes this.
  16. bob shovel

i finally found the photos!

I had planned to do trial a few mixes and aggregates but to begin with i just used the premix bags of concrete. I was pretty happy with it and i was just going to add some different stones to small test pieces but never got to it as we changed plans and moved out! i went to ikea for a laminate cheapie as its now rented. I can always pull it out if we decide to go back, it would have been over capitalising anyway!

The sealers were something that kept throwing me off, but the combination sounds great! some websites said use the x type sealer and you sacrifice the shine but better sealed from spills, and using another sealer will prevent liquid being absorbed but wouldnt look as good. im still confused with what i read! but the 3 steps sounds like its well protected!

I started with a piece that would have been for a bench in a little study nook we put in the kitchen area. if it worked out well we could use it and if not we would toss it.

I found heaps of photos of it in different spots in the yard as it got moved around while i worked on other things, but i did eventually found the test ones of it.

I didnt get around to getting a proper sander/grinder i just used a 5" grinder with a masonary disc and smoothed it up, i poured water over it to see the shine it produced. the photos dont do it justice. but for the cost of 2 bags of premix, mesh off cuts and some melamine off cuts it was a good to have a practice and one day i'll give it a go properly.

I planned to poor the bench in place (U shaped kitch with one side an island) i was going to use fibro (or similar <5mm thick) and lots of bracing underneath then form the exposed edge and against the walls i was going to use a rubber/foam of some kind to allow for expansion but also so i could silicon over to hide it 20130803_084132.jpg 20130810_133936.jpg 20130810_133944.jpg

Angel13 likes this.
  17. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Brilliant!

But; you need more shoes.;):p

Last edited: 2nd Sep, 2015
    Angel13 likes this.
  18. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Hi @Angel13 , is it a screen outside with a projector inside?
    Looks pretty cool.

19. Angel13

No the projector is outside in the under cover alfresco part inside a specially made locked box on the ceiling.

20. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Looks awesome - good time of the year to be selling too. Best of luck!