Pets

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Ryno, 14th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. mja

mja Well-Known Member

Never again, at least not in my blue-chip rentals. I've had to replace the carpet twice because of the smell of urine in the carpet.

2. jsoe000

jsoe000 Well-Known Member

We have two dogs and when we were looking for rentals, we tend to stick to dog friendly neighbours like inner west Sydney. Most owners allow pets provided they're toilet-trained and no damage to property. All clauses included in the lease. REAs don't advertise it as "pet friendly" but if you ask, you'll see most owners consider pets. Of course, we provided our pets photos, registration, etc. It's great!
    In our rental properties (houses), we allow pets. You go through the same screening process and put all clauses. It opens up to a huge pet-lovers audience. Plus REA inspects properties bi-annually to make sure things are in order.

3. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

I am pro-pets... It is a great feature for MANY renters who usually want to do the right thing and declare pets.

MTR likes this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I am pro pets, a dog lover, cat lover. Have always allowed tenants with pets, opens your market and I have never had any major issues

wylie and EN710 like this.
  5. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

I think it was changed last year or the year before, the default used to be no and owners had to vote to change to yes, now I think the default is yes and owners vote to change to no if they want, more and more people are looking for apartment / townhouse living and want a small dog or cat and leave the kids till later.

We have a cat, she is indoor only and for the 4 hours a day she is awake she just hangs out with us, she only ever goes to the toilet in her toilet which we keep super clean, no one would know we have a cat when they walk in. We would love to consider a sea change in the future but in reality I am not sure how many unit owners will allow us to have her.

Oh and the fur is not really an issue, since we bought the Dyson Animal vacuum cleaner :).

6. joel

joel Well-Known Member

Ha, I wasn't even allowed a goldfish at my last place.

datto likes this.
  7. MGF

MGF Well-Known Member

Not sure that would hold up at a VCAT/QCAT, etc. Landlord decides three months in to withdraw permission but tenant is on a one-year lease?

I think the permission is a one way decision as it is a lease condition. Not sure you can add lease conditions that then can be varied outside the lease itself.

pugstar205 likes this.
  8. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

@MGF maybe depends on how it is worded. My strata approval have something around "...after 3 vexing or substantial complaints."

9. MGF

MGF Well-Known Member

We actually ended up not living in Wollongong because we own a cat! The strata rules pretty much meant there are zero places you can have a pet. It's pretty harsh when a growing number of people spend their lives living in strata ruled apartments. A child has far more potential to cause damage to a rental than a lazy cat imo.

10. MGF

MGF Well-Known Member

Be interesting to see how such a clause would hold up in front of a magistrate! I know clauses on mandatory carpet cleaning can't be upheld at VCAT/QCAT/etc because it adds additional cost to the tenant. I'd think a clause like this would fall on the same point - the tenant would be forced to pay to put their pet into a kennel/cattery or be forced to break lease/move and so on.

11. pugstar205

pugstar205 Well-Known Member

You're right, thinking about it. In public housing (Qld) tenants must apply to the department for permmission to keep a pet and that permission can be withdrawn. That's what I was thinking of.

Good pick-up.