Pets at Property, not on the lease.

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by dmb1978, 14th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. dmb1978

dmb1978 Well-Known Member

As the title suggests. I will contact the property manager tomorrow to advise but does anyone know what the outcome of finding out pets are at the property when not on the lease.

Can the fixed term lease have a pet clause added or is there another course of action that anyone knows about.

Of course I cannot be 100% certain but when you get given photos of your property and there are two pet bowls sitting in the laundry, I struggle to see what else they could be for.

Not against pets at the property but was told there would be none and that it was not put in the lease. They are being quite strict about so many things I asked for so just wondering what may happen with this.

2. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

In Qld if you discover unapproved pets the PM should issue a Notice to Remedy Breach and it will be dealt with according to due process. In short, no if they're not on the lease they shouldn't be there.

dmb1978 and kierank like this.
  3. dmb1978

Thanks Andrew, property is in Canberra. Will be interesting to see what they do.

MyPropertyPro likes this.
  4. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

I don't understand what you mean by this. You're the landlord - the PM works for you - so what do you want them to do???

5. dmb1978

I keep getting told all my suggestions are illegal. ie was also told it was illegal to request a "change of locks clause" due to airbnb of flat and a few other things.

Have complained about lack of communication and now apparently the laundry flooded two bedrooms this morning so they had to have emergency carpet cleaning.

Now i have located the pets at the property, i would hope my property manager can advise what my options are so I can decide what to do.

I merely came on here asking if anyone had experienced the same or advice while I wait for a response.

Last edited: 14th Feb, 2017
  6. au contraire

au contraire Well-Known Member

Perhaps you might have one (or two) of these folks as tenants.

https://www.google.com.au/amp/www.d...S-bizarre-puppy-play-craze.html?client=safari

No judgment but personally I would rather have a caring and tidy pet owner who will have less negotiating power with you when it comes to matters like lease terms and rent increases.

On a serious note it can be hard in some jurisdictions to justify denying a pet request once a tenant is already in place.

However I do know of a person (lawyer and all) who lost at vcat over a clandestine pet bird. It was ordered it be removed.

7. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

@dmb1978, to me, it sounds like it is time to change PMs.

For property investment to work, one needs a win:win:win relationship between the landlord, the PM and the tenant.

It sounds like yours isn't. Find a better PM and sign the paperwork appointing them as your new PM. It is that easy.

SeafordSunshine likes this.
  8. dmb1978

Oh dear its like a new breed of "Furries" ;)

I love pets and are happy to have them at the property under the right lease conditions. So much going on with this property at the moment, just not happy with the way it's being handled.

9. dmb1978

Yes, I know you are most likely right, personally I'd like to sell everything and buy shares instead!!

10. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Bad tenants can make selling an investment property hell as well.

First step, get new PM and the sooner the better.

dmb1978 likes this.