QLD Petrie - University / The Mill Priority Development Area

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by wombat777, 12th Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Nickster

Nickster Member

Cheers for that. Guess better give more context to the question..

We bought the IP back in 2019 with an existing long term tenancy agreement and since then only increased the rent by $15 because that's what was provided for in the agreement. At the time it seemed like a good idea to keep the arrangement in place but now know better :).

The tenants are ok, in that they always on time with their rent and are semi tidy, however having issues with cigarette smell inside the house and have taken this up with the rental agency. Tenants responded back, they smoke with the door open or at the door hence the smell inside. I believe thats BS and have to admit am not too happy with the agency either due to other stuff, so looking to change them shortly.

As the existing agreement ends in January 2021 and working out my options now.

Thanks again for your feedback

2. Clean Cookie

Clean Cookie Well-Known Member

Imho, smoking is one of the most annoying and difficult things to rectify if you've got heaps of soft furnishings. I can smell it a mile away in a house and I suggest you open the aircon filters and that will tell you very quickly if they've had the AC on and smoked inside.

3. clubman

clubman Well-Known Member

Drove pass the Petrie area, realised that the roundabout has started some road works. Besides, I realised that the new Woolies shopping centre is now divided into multiple stages, putting the student accommodation last.

4. Greedo

Greedo Well-Known Member

JAW likes this.
  5. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

For sure. Anything that falls within the 1.5km-2km blast radius of the new Uni(Petrie PDA) site has been raised by a bare minimum of 100k over the past 6 months.

Once the site reaches its second, and then in turn third, development stage, over the next 8 years, then we’ll REALLY start to see some serious Capital Growth **** hit the fan.

We’re just warming the pan right now. We’re not even cooking yet.

George Smiley, Rambo and Greedo like this.
  6. thunderstrike888

thunderstrike888 Well-Known Member

JAW likes this.
  7. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

8. S Parker

S Parker Member

Nickster, I recently bought a car unseen and it had been smoked in. I bought a $150 Ozone generator off eBay, and after leaving it in the closed car for an hour, the smell has completely gone. It will take longer to do a house, but make sure you keep this up your sleeve when you do need to get new tenants in :)

Nickster likes this.
  9. clubman

JAW likes this.
  10. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

11. sleepytown

sleepytown New Member

Hi, I am new to this forum and Prop investment, looking for an IP under $500. Interested in Petrie/ MB area, and could anyone point me to flooding info. Does it flood in MB?

12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Any low land may potentially flood, but not usually. Check the council website for more specific info.

sleepytown likes this.
  13. clubman

Interior condition is alright though. I wonder how much it was on the contract.

14. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

Only a 2 bedder as well. Easily falls without the 1.5-2km Mill PDA blast radius, so it was always going to be snapped up, as long as the price wasn’t too obscene.

15. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

If you happen to be looking at Lawnton, make sure you check flood maps.

16. Mark202

Mark202 Well-Known Member

Hi All

Does anyone know of any examples of a townhouse development on a ~600sqm block in Next Gen zoning with a ~20-22M frontage (not a corner block)? I am looking for an asset in my portfolio with development potential in 10-15 years and just trying to work out what you might be able to do with a block around that size.

Thanks,
    Mark

JAW likes this.
  17. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

“a townhouse development on a ~600sqm block in Next Gen zoning with a ~20-22M frontage”

I sincerely think you’ll struggle to find a townhouse on ~20-22M frontage anywhere. As developers become more greedy, land in general will become more valuable, and in turn frontage as well. I wish you the best in your search.

18. Mark202

Just to confirm, are you saying I'll struggle to find a 600sqm block with a 20m+ frontage?

JAW likes this.
  19. JAW

JAW Well-Known Member

If it’s a townhouse, yes.

A 600m block would be for an established freestanding house, never a townhouse.

On 600m, it would be absolutely gigantic for a townhouse. In the general area, most new, modern, free standing homes struggle to sit on a 600m block. Older, established homes generally sit on 600m blocks,

Most modern, free standing homes, are now on on sub 400m blocks.

In turn, most townhouses are on really tiny blocks.

20. Mark202

Ah, I see. What I meant was finding an older established house on a 600sqm block with 20m+ frontage that in 10-15 years I’d “potentially” knock down and then build town houses on the block. I was trying to work out whether people are putting 2/3/4 townhouses on a block like that in the Petrie area.