Peter Thornhill 2020

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by nofriends, 11th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

Yes this was the time before I knew much about ETFs and LICs. I was holding direct shares mostly in mining and financials. Had a margin loan which I kept tipping money into. My shares would go down in price so I would buy more trying to average down my buy in price. I'm still down about 120k but won't crystallise the losses until I've got a capital gain to offset it.

Redwing and Islay like this.
  2. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

so they are shares you still hold? and they have not recovered in value? do they pay dividends?

3. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

I sold most of them during the GFC but the ones I'm currently holding are mostly speculative like lithium, cannabis and bio. No they don't pay dividends. I'm a bit of a gambler :(

Hosko likes this.
  4. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

Ok, got it. You crystallised losses during the GFC. At least you know you gambled on the ASX not invested. You could still sell off those spec stocks and invest the money in something more stable? Even one of the ETF's you mentioned - VAS, VGS? The losses will carry forwarded for when you have a gain I believe (get advise).

5. Coconutwheels

Coconutwheels Well-Known Member

I went to his seminar in 2018, Sydney. It was $100, full day, morning tea, access to Nespresso machine all day, lunch was steak or roast chicken with a full Buffett of salads roast veggies etc etc (I had steak and chicken) oh and a note pad and pen. There was prob less than 80 people, maybe 60, I can't remember. I do remember thinking, this guy would he lucky to cover his costs!

Momentum, mdk, Froxy and 2 others like this.
  6. number 5

number 5 Well-Known Member

This is spot on. For a younger investor whom hasn't been through the bad stuff yet, his wisdom in this area is perfect.

All the other stuff is just noise. If you understand the emotional side to investing its best just to ignore it.

KayTea and DoggaPP like this.
  7. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.....

Cmelderis, Hosko, Momentum and 2 others like this.
  8. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Yes but also do not become a slave to your money, make money your slave. Rather than spending your life trying to find the ultimate investing system select something simple, stick with it through good and bad then forget about it and get on with your life.

I’ve got a way to go yet with the emotional intelligence side of things (then again it’s a life long thing) but given I’m retired I enjoy reading investing related material and contributing here etc as part of my hobbies. Going forward I doubt there will be anything that causes me to change my investing approach but that doesn’t stop me from enjoying the the world of investing.

Cmelderis, Jaik2012, Burgs and 7 others like this.
  9. SatayKing

Not for want of trying though?

Nodrog likes this.
  10. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Alcohol is a preservative and kills germs. It must be good for you.

Momentum and Redwing like this.
  11. RogTheBear

RogTheBear Well-Known Member

How much will the soon-to-be-happening Nodrog investment seminars cost?

On the general cost thing - you give stuff away, people just don't appreciate it and will also think it's no good. $212.09 seems a reasonable deal to me - although I wonder about $2.09 on the end of it. That's a really accurate assessment of costs & margins.:D

Now, who's got a second hand copy of Motivated Money they'll sell me for $15? ;)

number 5 likes this.
  12. SatayKing

About this much

monk and Nodrog like this.
  13. Isla_Nublar

Isla_Nublar Well-Known Member

Peter is actually charging $200, the $12.09 is the cost of the platform. Interesting that I saw Peter at a "cheaper" venue in March last year and I think the total cost was closer to $120. Shows that he is looking to make a reasonable cost and this one includes food I believe.

Momentum likes this.
  14. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Did some decluttering recently which included donating my copy of Motivated Money to the local charity shop:).

15. RogTheBear

RogTheBear Well-Known Member

I'm not driving all the way to Qld to try to track it down... o_O

Nodrog likes this.
  16. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

I saw Peter Thornhill through Syd Uni in August 2017 and it cost $410. It did include lunch but it wasn't anything flash - I think I had pizza.
    Was it expensive - I though so at the time but I learnt a lot.
    Current prices seem a comparative bargain so I'd say attend if you are interested.

Momentum likes this.
  17. virgo

virgo Well-Known Member

i helped Gockie organise a Peter Thornhill seminar 2 ? 3? years ago...just booked a local scout hall and emailed Peter directly...post it on propertychat and to all my friends and split the cost ... if i recall it came down to less than $100? each participant...

Got some of my girlfriends to do cakes and tea and coffee...and the participants walked to the local shops for lunch..

I then drove Peter home to his son's house nearby ..

Happy to organise another one but not sure if Peter's talk would have anything new/extra to add (as he proposes keeping the same strategy? don't get me wrong as i see this as good:)

Tobytom, marcusjip, Froxy and 3 others like this.
  18. Isla_Nublar

I'd be happy to see him present again

19. RiMo

RiMo Well-Known Member

20. Isla_Nublar

Did anyone attend the PT event over the weekend? Any thoughts / inspirations that you would like to share?

PFI provide our clients with the opportunity to purchase an investment property, together with performing equity investments from a wide range of ASX listed securities some providing monthly income. This is the value of advice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.