Peter Thornhill 2020

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by nofriends, 11th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

A jar of Maconna Espresso will soon be winging its way to you.

It would have been two if you had also said the number of people who have been influenced to do something as opposed to simply dithering in comparison with us bunch of nobodies here.

Older I guess.

Last edited: 12th Feb, 2020
    Froxy and Nodrog like this.
  2. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Have seen similar happen on many investing facebook or barefoot type investing pages, invariably all other kinds of strategies get touted from bitcoin to options etc, all far from the original intent of the pages when they commenced

You better than most know a thread may go in many directions over a few pages before getting back on track :D

[​IMG]

3. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

You've discovered my true purpose in life @Redwing.

Popcorn anyone?

4. dunno

dunno Well-Known Member

Here are my thoughts in relation to this thread (largely without basis because I know nothing of PT other than what I have read on PC, never heard of him outside this place where his profile seems to be huge)

He is obviously a communicator by stories. Lots of people like and relate to stories over numbers. Belief in stories can cause things to happen.

There are great enduring things incorporated into his story.

At one stage his story was possibly optimal.

I’m not sure how stories evolve, which is my problem with the story narrative for investing, but that’s my personal hang up.

In relation to some of his thoughts on contemporary issues and changes I suspect his story may have stopped evolving. Contentment, age whatever the cause may be. It’s not a criticism, more an observation.

I think @Nodrog is a great story teller himself as a means to communicate investment principles and his story incorporates the enduring aspects of PT which I’m sure PT adopted from someone before him and so forth but Nodrog is also evolving the story to suit current circumstances.

@Nodrog – its time you accepted the baton pass. Rename this thread to Nodrog 2020 and continue the tradition of education and communication through story on PC. A good current story from the heart is the best defence for many punters against all those marketing and barrow pushing stories out there.

ChrisP73, sharon, Burgs and 10 others like this.
  5. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

If that happens I call dibs on managing the Nodrog 2020 merchandise line. Shirts , caps, mugs and even a calendar.

sharon, number 5, Anne11 and 3 others like this.
  6. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Very kind of you but do you want everyone to leave PC due to boredom:D.

In fact I’d love to pass the baton to you in regard to education and communication. Everyone’s heard my story a thousand times and are no doubt crying out for a change. Your posts are extraordinary, at a whole new level and importantly supported by data. I along with many others here can’t get enough of the @dunno School of Investing. Please oblige with lots lots more posts:):cool:.

Absent, sharon, Burgs and 5 others like this.
  7. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

LOL:D, I’m going into hiding until sensibility is restored to this forum. Then again whatever you’re smoking can you send me some.

DoggaPP, Anne11 and Big A like this.
  8. Big A

Big A Well-Known Member

LOL. I am just trying to ride on your coat tails ( I think that's the saying ) and make a quick buck. I am running out of cash for all the unlisted property trusts that I have coming my way. Need to raise cash. :D

Nodrog likes this.
  9. dunno

dunno Well-Known Member

For a lot of people my posts need an TLDR interpreter and my friend, you are the best in the business (well at least on PC). I can't both evolve through numbers and data and tell the story clearly. Besides I've got a one hour limit

Your incorrigible…..But if I can clip the ticket with a royalty for original concept – you have a deal.

Froxy, kierank, Big A and 1 other person like this.
  10. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Doubt it will help. I’m cranky cause I can’t buy anything till the next Dividend arrives.

Big A likes this.
  11. RayO

RayO Well-Known Member

I attended a few years ago and it didn't cost much at all. I think it was the first one Fortitude held.
    The venue was nice, the catering was great and the staff from Fortitude were friendly. I think it's fair to increase the prices (don't know if the additional funds go to PT or Fortitude and don't care) but with any event, a lot of time and energy goes into planning an event

Nodrog likes this.
  12. Momentum

Momentum Well-Known Member

LOL it looks like I got some knickers in a knot :D
    It's not a whinge, I'm just stating that on the face of things Pete's not very benevolent charging $200+ to spruik his book. Yes of course he's entitled to make some quick cash when he wants to hold another seminar repeating the same stuff over and over. Yes some people here lost money with Steve so I understand why they're bitter but I personally made money from investing in his fund so I don't hold a grudge. For the record I'm not a hater of Pete or Steve but let's not pretend they're both spruiking from the goodness of their heart (nothing wrong with that!).

13. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Yeah, that’s the dark side - keep way from them :D.

14. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Hey, that’s an insult. I can be trusted :p.

Nodrog likes this.
  15. Momentum

I bought a 1 litre bottle of Johnnie Walker yesterday on sale for $53 and I'm slowly getting ****** now :p

Lindsay_W likes this.
  16. mistercoffee

mistercoffee Well-Known Member

I've only recently become aware of Peter Thornhill, even though I've been investing for many years. There are just so many investing gurus vying for our attention, with their seminars and books.
    From what I've seen on the Internet, Thornhill's message makes very good sense to a person who is comfortable with shares, but unlike Thornhill, I also like to get a bit of exposure to the more active Lics (e.g. WLE, WGB, QVE, AMH ... etc.). I don't need to cough up $200 to attend a seminar, when all the info is on the Internet.

A friend of mine does very well from residential property, and he would flat out reject Thornhill's ideas. He'd say, "Shares? Look at all those people who lost money buying Telstra".

PC is a good place to start if you want to get exposure to various investment points of view, but as @Big A has done, you should do your own research and make your own mistakes (as I have done), and invest in what you are comfortable with.

sharon, Burgs, Anne11 and 3 others like this.
  17. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

33 OP (76%) Bundaberg rum works for me:).

Momentum likes this.
  18. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

The implementation of the Thornhill approach can be summed up in a single sentence. However generally people need a story as mentioned earlier to be convinced to take action. That’s what most of the seminar is about, giving course attendees the information to convince them shares are a great investment then getting them enthused enough to take action. And a great presenter who can sell the story helps.

number 5, kierank, Anne11 and 2 others like this.
  19. Momentum

I've mostly been anti shares after losing 200k during the GFC but I'm now a fan of ETFs (not so much LICs) and contribute on a regular basis to NDQ, VAS and 2 others. In fact I'm even considering selling property and putting the whole proceeds into ETFs because it's less hassle. I just sold a condo in Thailand and have 300k to invest. I'm now tossing up between buying a unit in St Kilda for cash or putting the lot into ETFs, and I think the latter may win.

Nodrog, Anne11 and mistercoffee like this.
  20. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

@Momentum I have never been to a PT seminar nor bought his book. However I do know anyone following his strategy and who stayed invested through the GFC would not have lost any money in the longer term and be well in front today.

Momentum and nofriends like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.