Peter Thornhill 2020

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by nofriends, 11th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

A broad church catering to all beliefs. How else can she sell whatever that is?

mdk, sauropod, Redwing and 1 other person like this.
  2. Burgs

Burgs Well-Known Member

So much for leading by example, then again she has succeeded by making investing complicated.

3. SatayKing

He he true but some may consider complicated is normal.

I've reached a stage where I don't care with these things but I'm a simple person.

What I have taken from Peter Thornhill, not matter what others think of him or his approach, is don't fall in love with money for the sake of money; spend less than your income, borrow only within reason (zero in my case) and keep investing no matter what.

When stripped down to those basics I don't see what is complicated but, as I said, I'm a simpleton.

A highly important event has now occurred. Time for breakfast and another cup of coffee.

Ynot, orangestreet, mdk and 5 others like this.
  4. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Quite some time ago I saw a client portfolio recommendation from Canna Campbell in her capacity as a FA. From memory the equity component consisted of VTS, VEU, a couple of LICs and around a dozen or so direct ASX dividend payers such as the Banks, WES etc.

5. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Peter has always held a large number of direct dividend focused shares, over 70 holdings earlier on in addition to his core LICs. It’s only in recent years he’s been more aggressively focused on reducing the number of direct shares and placing proceeds in his LICs. Like a lot of us as we age and concerns for our beneficiaries there can be a desire to want to simplify one’s financial affairs.

Ynot, number 5, mdk and 4 others like this.
  6. Snowball

Snowball Well-Known Member

To answer your previous question on which extra LICs PT was referring to, in the Firebug podcast he mentioned SOL/BKW AFIC so some of those would be my guess.

Ynot and Nodrog like this.
  7. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Ah yes I remember that now thanks. I’m pretty sure PT already holds BKW / SOL. He considers Brickworks and SOL given some diversification as LIC types. But you have to wonder about his love affair with Milner clan holdings (MLT, BKI, BKW, SOL) plus there’s so much in the way of cross holdings. Maybe PT’s paranoid about having a defence against corporate raiders:rolleyes:.

Ynot and SatayKing like this.
  8. SatayKing

I think those with a DB are avoiding the pain the rest of us must share. Shall write a strong letter to the Government about this suggesting an immediate and retrospective reduction to these pensions by, oh I don't know, say 30%?

Fair shake of the sauce bottle.

SK skedaddles very quickly.

Froxy likes this.
  9. Isla_Nublar

Isla_Nublar Well-Known Member

Did you open your bowels? I know its important for geriatrics to remember this stuff!! :eek::eek:

number 5, Nodrog and SatayKing like this.
  10. SatayKing

With a possible TP shortage are you kidding me?!

11. Isla_Nublar

I've always wondered how a FA can recommend individual shares? Do they then have to continue to research those individuals shares to then advise when to sell them? Heaven forbid the shares drop 10% and clients will be screaming why didn't you tell me to sell *insert ticker here*. What level of research do they need to do to recommend an individual company. Micro analysis? Macro analysis? Consult the tea leaves? Seems a lot of work to recommend an individual stock "taking into account my personal financial situation"?

Burgs likes this.
  12. Isla_Nublar

@Nodrog has some pretty fluffy looking chickens he could lend you

Cmelderis and SatayKing like this.
  13. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I thought you would have figured out by now that @SatayKing can’t possibly drink the amount of coffee he buys. He uses much of it for a far more important purpose:D:

1E8AFD2E-3609-4EE3-88CE-16257D244172.jpeg

Cmelderis and Player like this.
  14. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Cruelty to chickens.

15. SatayKing

Not in my opinion. If needs must......:D

16. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Often a concentrated bet in the hunt for yield. Many direct shares pay higher dividends than the index but many investors who take that path fail to understand the risk.

Ynot likes this.
  17. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Or in PT’s case his paranoia about mining companies / Areits so direct Industrial holdings diluted those sectors held by his LICs

Burgs likes this.
  18. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

Yeah it’s BS. They add individual positions for a psychological reason...it’s the “secret sauce” you get so you feel like you are getting some unique insight / advantage and see value in the service offering. When doesn’t work sell those positions to buy recent winners. Rinse / repeat.

19. The Falcon

The Falcon Well-Known Member

This is pretty common and I suppose not the worst asset allocation provided the direct positions are satellite. I think the direct positions may give typical clients comfort in that they are names they know and seem more tangible than funds? This is based around psychology more than anything.

His advisor is close to the Milners, and PT knows them as a result.

mvsim and Ynot like this.
  20. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Just remembered another LIC PT owns that might surprise some being Global LIC MFF.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.