Peter Thornhill 2019

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by oddshapes, 8th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

If you live near where a PT course in being held then it’s worthwhile attending. However unless you need convincing it’s worthwhile investing in shares for dividends and / or you want your partner to attend to convince them also you’re unlikely to learn anything more than has been discussed in these threads being the most comprehensive information source on PT approach available anywhere:

Search Results for Query: Peter thornhill | PropertyChat

mvsim, Ynot, sharon and 1 other person like this.
  2. John Ferguson

John Ferguson Well-Known Member

I definitely don’t need convincing. Was more out of interest and my wife has now educated herself on PT work and no longer is on the Property Bandwagon. So probably not worth the time and costs. Thanks for the heads up

3. Zenith Chaos

Zenith Chaos Well-Known Member

A guaranteed risk free 5% is better than the LICs return risk adjusted. I wish I were a bank, but I'd feel bad stealing from Joe Average to supplement my lifestyle. Banks have the morals of Boba Fett, ie none.

I think tech-enabled P2P lending will become more prevalent as long as the legals can be negotiated. As with the taxis regarding Uber the banks will do everything in their power to block P2P for obvious reasons and the banks have enough money like the mining companies to control the media and the related politics.

Phineas likes this.
  4. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

Has anyone who has attended his course able to shed any light on his "rent the lifestyle" instead of buying the lifestyle??

I think i recall him renting some luxury super cars in the UK instead of buying them! Makes sense i guess, just a little curious....!

5. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Yep, that is one example. Instead of buying say a BMW (and lose thousands per year in depreciation, insurance, etc), hire one when you need to live that lifestyle.

pippen likes this.
  6. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

He has more disposable income though, I'd be more looking at sites like "rent a rocket" or "rent a bomb" than one that supplies luxury cars :D

mvsim and kierank like this.
  7. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Nah, I value my life too much, rather spend a few dollars on a good hire car and return it than be taken to a hospital/mortuary :eek:.

Nodrog likes this.
  8. pippen

pippen Well-Known Member

Yeah i agree, however the 2 years income as cash is actually 2 years living expenses (so around 200k) but still good going!

9. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

I think he might cover this toward the end of his book Motivated Money.

But essentially it is don’t buy what you can rent as generally your money is best invested in income producing shares. PT even looked upon a home as more of a liability than an asset. He said the main reason he purchased a home in Australia is due to unavailability of long leases like some overseas countries. But to put his mind at peace he promptly took out a line of credit on his Apartment to invest in shares:).

But things like holiday homes, luxury cars, an occasional ride on a Harley, boats etc PT would consider it crazy to buy rather than rent.

Simply make sure you know the difference between a strong growing “income producing” asset vs a Liability!

Burgs, Redwing, sharon and 8 others like this.
  10. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Interesting Times – My Say No 58

Interesting Times – My Say No 58 | Motivated Money

Ynot and orangestreet like this.
  11. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Good to see he is a wide reader,Nassim would be happy with the books sales as the ripple of his priceless books just keep going and make people see the other side..
    Quote..
    A Black Swan event is an event in human history that was unprecedented and unexpected at the point in time it occurred.

12. oddshapes

oddshapes Well-Known Member

New email sent out of today from Peter Thornhill regarding new course opening in April. For those that may not get the email below is the guts of it:

Full Day Course

Interactive full day session
    Saturday 13th April

The Saturday 16th March course at WEA in Sydney has been booked out so I have scheduled another session for the 13th April. This is likely to fill quickly also.
    Courses for later in the year will be advised in due course.

If you are interested and want to grab a spot click on this link.
    Public Speaking | Motivated Money

Alternatively, you can contact WEA, who reside at 72 Bathurst St in Sydney, via phone (02) 9264 2781 or go to their website. www.weasydney.com.au.

Look forward to catching up with you.

Regards......Peter Thornhill

P.S. I have had a number of requests for a Melbourne session so have started preliminary arrangements but would appreciate feedback from anyone who is interested to gauge the numbers involved. Click the button below if you are interested.

Froxy likes this.
  13. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

Peter Thornhill 2017 #2

Following on form my Thornhill debut a couple of years ago I've decided to end my little experiment and sell out.
    I bought $1000 each of MLT BKI, ARG & WHF back in Feb 2017 and 2 years later (give or take a few days) they've significantly under performed the rest of my portfolio.

• MLT showed a capital gain of 1.6% and a yield of 6.1% yield finishing with a total gain of 7.61% cagr
    • BKI showed a capital loss of almost 3% only to be brought back into positive territory by a 6.9% yield ending on a total gain of 4.12% cagr
    • ARG showed a capital gain of 1% and a yield of 5.88% providing a total gain of 6.82% cagr`
    • WHF showed a capital loss of almost 1% only to be brought back into positive territory by a 5.6% yield ending on a total gain of 4.77% cagr
    My portfolio overall which showed a total capital gain of 8.1% and yield of 5.71% providing a CAGR of 13.81% for the past 2 years. All of these figures and from Sharesight which I use to track portfolio performance.

Wish you all the best of luck but I think I'll continue without the these in my portfolio.....and then eat my words in another 2 years when they finally do outperform the market ;)

Nodrog, MarkW and sharon like this.
  14. Jamesaurus

Jamesaurus Well-Known Member

Isn't PT's premise that over the long term the industrials index outperforms but not in the short term (like a 2 yr timeframe)?

Froxy likes this.
  15. sharon

sharon Well-Known Member

@Shady - I am curious about your portfolio. Are you mostly into direct shares or ETFs?
    Are you into trading or buy and hold. I will try and go back through the site and read your contributions.

16. DoggaPP

DoggaPP Well-Known Member

Can you clarify that the yield figures you are quoting are the total yield over the full 2 year period, ..... or is the yield figures you are quoting is the average yearly yield across the two years?

17. ShireBoy

ShireBoy Well-Known Member

Dividends over 10 years:
    BKI - 8.09%
    ARG - 6.06%
    MLT - 6.76%
    WHF - 8.19%

The Thornhill approach is not worrying about the spot price. Don't get caught up in the noise.

Mooser, DoggaPP and Froxy like this.
  18. Froxy

Froxy Well-Known Member

Not seeing the point in the experiment... PT is buy and hold over the long term and the goal is ever increasing dividend stream.

Who is buying these LICs for short term capital gains?

Not much proven IMO.

Shady likes this.
  19. ShireBoy

ShireBoy Well-Known Member

The experiment could've been achieved using the ShareChecker on ShareSight (like I did).

Compared to what?

20. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

LOL... Hopefully I didn't upset too many people ;)

Portfolio is a mixture of shares and ETF's. In my opinion I'm overweight with about 53% of my portfolio in Australian shares, I'd prefer it at around 40%. I'm a buy and hold type but I do 'experiment' from time to time.

I'm happy to post back in another 5-10 years, hopefully you would have all made your fortunes and I'll eat my words.

Froxy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.