Pet peeves and minor irritants

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 20th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. skater

skater Well-Known Member

People who block your path with over sized strollers by parking in the centre of aisles while they talk.

Had a particularly nasty one of these this morning while trying to enter a newsagency. The doorway split into a Y shape and she was in the main doorway. When I said 'excuse me' so I could enter the store, instead of moving to one side of the aisle, she moved forward into the right hand side of the Y, again blocking my way. On asking 'excuse me' a second time, this waste of space of a human being started a verbal tirade of abuse about how rude I was which included various swear words.

If that wasn't bad enough, she had with her a young boy of maybe 5 years old, who also started his own tirade of abuse coupled with swear words and raspberry blowing. The response by the mother was along the lines of "Take no notice of the nasty rude lady." And they let them breed....

Glorion, luckyone, Propagate and 5 others like this.
  2. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

I have had situations where I'm about to enter a roundabout and the car approaching from my right has it's left indicator on but I hesitated and sure enough the dude didn't turn left but went straight through. I think some laws are confusing and if they are then maybe it's a poor law education requirements notwithstanding.

3. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I think it's much more a matter of education. The law is straightforward. But the law has changed since many drivers last looked at those laws. Drivers don't look at - or never get to see - law changes as they occur.

For instance, I knew that I couldn't use a mobile phone while driving unless it was in a cradle with a no hands function (I'm not on P Plates) - but I didn't know that I'm not allowed to see a screen when I'm driving. If the phone is next to me with the screen visible, and the phone rings, I'm in breech of the law. A driver recently was charged because her passenger was using Face Time.

Perhaps a test of road rules every ten years or so as a prerequisite to a licence renewal wouldn't be a bad thing.

luckyone and SatayKing like this.
  4. SatayKing

Couples, usually of my age or older, who shop together and the bloke who is bored witless stands with the trolley in the middle of the isle and gets lint out of his belly button while Mum minutely examines the product description of each and every item she picks from the shelf.

Oldies, i.e. anyone but myself, should be permitted to only shop at specific times leaving the rest of the day for us who know exactly what we want to buy and wish to get out of the horror of supermarkets asap.

And another thing which is irritating is His and Hers mobile scooters. Really? Unless it's absolutely essential due to a disability the best way to further disable yourself is to use them.

Lizzie likes this.
  5. SatayKing

Good point @geoffw.

My tendency with the phone when I get behind the wheel is to put it on airplane mode. However, for those who use it as part of their work is a different matter.

geoffw likes this.
  6. geoffw

We've started examining labels because it appears that my wife doesn't deal with a food additive very well.

And disability scooters. While my dad in his last couple of years of independent living could walk ok, he didn't have the endurance to walk to the supermarket. The disability scooter was a lifesaver for him.

Incidentally, the market for second hand disability scooters is very small - there's a high risk of them having been soiled.

Perp likes this.
  7. SatayKing

I certainly have no issue with those individuals who require a disability scooter to provide a degree of independence.

However, while working with a number of health professionals who were encouraging clients to put in effort to stop them becoming further disabled, I did notice the frustration with those who wouldn't do so and insisted on using them. Over time the patients unfortunately gained weight due to lack of exercise, joints degraded and a host of other issues. It's a fine line sometimes.

wylie and geoffw like this.
  8. geoffw

The other side to my father's situation is that, after retiring at 45, he made it his life's ambition to be as sedentary as possible. So while he needed his disability scooter for the situation he was in, had he been rather more physically active, he may have not been in that situation in the first place.

He didn't need to be running marathons, he just should have been somewhat more active - perhaps joining my mother in the garden or at golf more often.

Lizzie and wylie like this.
  9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

They are everywhere! I regularly see people much younger than myself whizzing around in them. When they have to get out for some shops, they are able bodied. How do they not see they are doing themselves harm?

10. geoffw

11. SatayKing

Lizzie and geoffw like this.
  12. Phar Lap

Phar Lap Well-Known Member

I wouldnt know as we always sit in the front or 2nd row so its easy and quick to get off and away. no luggage just carry on. People dont know how to travel.

13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I try to avoid the front. I believe survival rates are better at the back (assuming anyone survives). But I agree people don't know how to travel.

I try to book near an exit (in case of an emergency). And the extra ten minutes we wait while the sheep are standing in the aisle, we continue to read our books in comfort. The only time we actually got up early was recently when we didn't have a through ticket and had a tight deadline (and luckily we were near the front that time).

Another pet travel peeve is how people leave the plane. We clean our area, clean our rubbish. We are embarrassed by how most people seem to leave their seats, rubbish strewn everywhere. It shows total disregard for the hard working people who've looked after them for hours, to leave things so dirty.

luckyone and Lizzie like this.
  14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I like how NSW changed the rules - if turning left then left indicator - if turning right then right indicator - if going straight ahead then no indicator ... just like a normal 4 way intersection

qak likes this.
  15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

OMG - I feel soooooo sorry for those old blokes. Never in a million years would I take hubby shopping. Problem is they often come along because they retired and are bored senseless at home.

And feel just as sorry for the "boyfriends" that go clothes shopping with their gal ...

16. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the movie - Wall-e - where everyone ended up on a mobile recliner due to inactivity

craigc and skater like this.
  17. geoffw

That's fairly standard in most (if not all) states now. The only difference is that ACT specifies that you indicate left if you're going to exit less that 180º, right if more - say for a five way intersection.

Lizzie likes this.
  18. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Once hubby explained roundabouts this way, to treat the intersection as if the roundabout isn't there and indicate to suit (with the added indication you wish to exit), it all became clear, like a veil of confusion was lifted.

Lizzie likes this.
  19. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

If you think our roundabouts are a problem, try driving in England!

Their roundabouts are diabolical, often requiring lane changes part way round. And sometimes they are linked, miss your turn and you have to negotiate three roundabouts to get back to your turn.
    Marg

20. SatayKing

The outrageous price of a double bacon and egg roll with coffee. Almost $15 for goodness sake. Now in my day....