Pet peeves and minor irritants

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Lizzie, 20th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Friends that are ALWAYS late, can set your watch by it, usually 15-20 minutes with the same excuse every time, "cat **** in the hallway, didn't realize how busy I was....etc". Ah, OK , sorry, I forgot your time was so much more important than mine that it's OK for me to sit and wait for you every time and ignore my own chores.

2. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

These are the same ones that sit at 70 in an 80 then stay at 70 when the limit chagnes to 60.

And the same ones that sit in a side road 500m meters ahead of you waiting to pull out, then pull out on you when you're 5 meters from them causing you to slam your brakes on and sit behind them the rest of the way at 10kph under the limit.

Perp, luckyone, skater and 1 other person like this.
  3. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

In Sydney city peak hour, you find there's about an equal number of people walking up escalators vs. those standing. I walk up 19 times out of 20.

4. Air_Bender

Air_Bender Well-Known Member

How can I like this a thousand times????

Dreadful English weather!

5. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

It's still inefficient if your measure of success is the getting the greatest number of people through a station and out.

Escalator etiquette: Should I stand or walk for an efficient ride?

6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Maybe, but standing on the escalator annoys me. I hate it when i'm in the walking lane and the person or people ahead of me decide to stand... I get frustrated. Sometimes I end up tapping them on the shoulder to walk, it's that annoying.

Phar Lap and skater like this.
  7. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Tailgating especially when there is no space to switch lanes.
    From someone who commutes on a motorcycle daily, this is more than a pet peeve and I've been in situations were it felt pretty dangerous as in drivers being less than half a meter behind me at highway speeds.

Perp likes this.
  8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

You would not survive in Mexico. It's a matter of good manners that you never arrive at the right time.

For our wedding, the church in Mexico City was booked after our ceremony, so it was important that it wasn't late. Even though guests were told explicitly that the wedding must start on time, and even though it did start a little late, there were still guests arriving after the ceremony had finished.

Perp likes this.
  9. geoffw

People who don't know how to indicate correctly when exiting a roundabout.

So many people indicate right when exiting left. So the person waiting to enter the roundabout has to wait unnecessarily.

craigc, Perp and luckyone like this.
  10. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

This plus those who indicate left before they even enter the roundabout.

11. skater

skater Well-Known Member

That's Hubby's pet peeve too.

12. geoffw

Especially when they're not going to exit left.

There's one roundabout in Canberra which is very close to another roundabout. Often, their indicator is still indicating left from the first roundabout when they enter the second one, where they are not exiting left. Usually, I'm aware of this. But one morning at 1 am when I was taking my wife to the hospital for our daughter's birth, I was a little distracted, and came quite close to getting wiped out.

SatayKing likes this.
  13. skater

skater Well-Known Member

People who don't desex their pets.
    People who dump their pets because they are no longer little & cute, or they are inconvenient, or need medical treatment.
    People telling sob stories trying to get something for free.
    Slow walkers that always seem to spread out across the whole aisle.
    People who don't read descriptions when you've got something for sale.
    People who ride mobility scooters fast right at the doorway to shops, so you have to be very careful when exiting.
    People who ride mobility scooters because they're too lazy to walk. Note: younger, heavily overweight people, not elderly or disabled.
    Bad drivers

14. SatayKing

Slight variation but relating to speed limits.

A couple of fix speed cameras on one stretch of road in Canberra which has a 100 kph limit. Why do those who are doing 100 kph slow down when reaching those cameras?

15. geoffw

Judging by the number of people who overtake me approaching the camera, who subsequently slow down, I think a mobile speed camera could do quite well 1km before the first camera.

And why does the ACT government purchase average speed cameras. Don't they have enough money (from rates) for good speed cameras?

16. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

I believe there are different rules per state. Pretty sure Vic doesnt require a left indicate unless you're immediately turning left and this should be done prior to entering road about. Roundabouts : VicRoads

Joynz likes this.
  17. SatayKing

A valid pet peeve in itself.

Then again I do have a Canberra centric bias as I got pinged on the road from Mansfield to Yarra Glen in Victoria by an average speed camera. $194 and one demerit point for 104 kph (adjusted.) Oh well. Slightly better than the red light which cost me $500 and 3 demerit points.

geoffw likes this.
  18. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Depending on the car,you pull over to let another car in thru the small streets in inner Brisbane ,some say thanks the other's just drive past with the mobile in one hand..

19. geoffw

Also being Canberra centric, where speed limits are always marked. I was pinged doing 60 in a 50 zone in Shepparton, where there was no limit posted. Unlike Canberra, residential streets are all 50 unless otherwise marked. I'm always careful about obeying marked limits, so this one really surprised me.

20. balwoges

balwoges Well-Known Member

What to have for dinner that night ... :D