Pest Control- Who's responsibility?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by fols, 3rd Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. fols

fols Well-Known Member

Hi all

Just had a call from a PM advising there are cockroaches in one of my apartments, and can I approve pest control.

Is it my responsibility to fund this?

Thanks
    Grant

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

The landlord needs to provide a pest-free house at the start of the tenancy. Through the tenancy it is up to the tenant to do further treatments as required (in Qld anyway that is my understanding).

We ensure the house is pest free initially, and write into the lease that this is the case, and we expect the tenant to do a pest treatment before they leave. That way, it is pest-free for the next tenant, and we don't often have to do anything more.

Elives, EN710 and Chilliblue like this.
  3. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

We do what Wylie does. First pest control is paid for us at the beginning/prior to the tenancy and thereafter it is the tenants responsibility.

Termite control is different as we assume responsibility for that.

4. Tracey Seghabi

Tracey Seghabi Member

Hi,
    Landlord required to provide a pest free house at the start of tenancy. After this there is no obligation on the landlord.
    I would ask if the tenant has used bombs to try to stop the issue. However landlord may look at the side of assisting the tenant if it is a one off issue, this can also be used for property claimable expense at tax time.
    Hope this helps

SeafordSunshine likes this.
  5. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

I just get it done as a service. Otherwise it won't be.

6. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

Agree with Tracey ,
    Also please Make sure the tenants knows how to keep the little buggers under control, there are may things you can do yourself. eg.
    Garbage put outside every day. No crumbs or wet surfaces left in kitchen, etc. If there is an issue in September, it will be Sydney 'horror stations' in January/ February!
    I use 3 x Mortein cockroach bombs in November and that seems to stop the cycle,
    Vacuum and mop first, turn off all battery chargers, (anything generating heat) stand the cans on newspaper, (One per room) not the bedrooms though, close all windows and doors , pull trigger and exit for the day. Come home to 'Rookwood' for cockroaches, vacuum and empty the bag into garbage outside!
    Voila! (Starting to feel like Nigella Lawson domestic Goddess!) this helps!

Tracey Seghabi and KayTea like this.
  7. fols

fols Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone. You're a useful lot aren't ya's

8. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

That's how we roll....

9. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

If you don't organise stuff like this yourself you have no guarantee its been done properly.

Its like carpet cleaning, professional setup job for $150 or a $40 hire unit from Coles, which ones the tenant gunna go for.

Can demand what you like incl in the contract, in the end if it goes to court....

10. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I read this somewhere....

Ask the tenant of there was cocroaches when they first inspected and took the property, then when they answer no, advise them that they must remove the pests that they have brought to the property :)

On a serious note, in units, the whole block may need doing as there are areas that link all apartments, so it could be an adjoining apartment or a problem in common area.

11. Threebythree

Threebythree Active Member

It looks as though in sydney this is true and clear. At the start of tenancy, if the tenant says there is a problem then landlord must attend. After 3 or 6 months - its up to the tenant and thereafter.
    Pests_and_vermin

How in QLD, there is no quidelines in this. Does anyone in QLD confirm, they do not do a yearly pest control. I have an IP in toowoomba, the last heavy rainfall exposed a lot of spiders which was 8 to 10months into their rental. Now 7 months has passed - it has came again. As it within a year period, we are not paying for this one, however my property manager is suggesting that annually - this is a gray line and is generally bored by the landlord...

12. Threebythree

Threebythree Active Member

Buy some maxforce roach gel from ebay. This is what the professional uses. They spread this around and if roaches eat it, then they die. Roaches feed on other roaches, and they also die so it perpetuates.

I've been spreading this around my apartment every year and generally roach free.

13. wylie

We do a treatment if it is needed before a tenancy when we've done work or it has been empty for any reason. We write in our lease that it has been done and ask outgoing tenant to do a pest treatment on their way out and during their stay. That way we generally never have to do it again.

14. Ray

Ray Member

Hi folks, new to the group and first post.
    I did my annual inspection of my property today ( it's 7hrs drive away).
    Apart from all the plants in the gardens being dead, gone or overrun with weeds, the carpets being filthy, cockroaches in the dishwasher the tenant in the company of the property manager ( I use that term loosely) hits me up for pest control. My reply was that as far as I'm concerned they've been in the house 2 years it's up to them. The junior property manager then has a shot at me insisting that it's my responsibility. I know it's not in the legislation. By this stage I was ready to explode, I told her to get her boss to contact me. Bare in mind the agents insisted on my having the place professionally cleaned $1000 prior to the start of the tenancy so that they had a perfect starting datum from which to begin. This is what I got via email tonight.
    ( Spraying for CAS. This is usually done on an annual basis by our owners at tenanted properties. This is not specifically legislated however our owners are required to ensure their property meets all health and safety standards. )
    She signs off with (So many laws I know however we all have to abide by them. )
    Your thoughts on how to proceed. For the last 2 years I've felt that the tenant says jump and the property managers tell me how high. I thought I paid them to work for me.

15. wylie

Ray, welcome to the forum.

I would not be happy to pay for any control in the circumstances you've described. I would also find another property manager.

Toon and EN710 like this.
  16. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

Some managers are like that, they are a headache.

If you paid for it to be clean and pest done at start, then I would be tending to think they are not onto the tenant about the upkeep.

If I was traveling that far, I would have shouted them a pack of bombs and told the manager to get them to clean up and maintain the place.

17. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Yep, landlord usually pays for that upfront. As tenants we've then paid mid tenancy for bombs etc to keep on top of it.

18. Ray

Ray Member

Thanks for the replies.
    I've thought of trying another agent for PM but wasn't sure if doing that would cause more grief. The tenants have just signed another 12 month lease. Just one more question if I may. When the tenant calls the PM with a concern should the PM go and have a look or is their job just to send me an email telling me I have 3 days to respond or they'll send a tradie to look and always reminding me of my obligations to the tenant. On one occasion it was simply water dripping from the A/C drain but a plumber was called at my expense because the tenant said she had a water leak.

19. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Most PM would not go there to have a look. I don't think it is appropriate either to tell you to either respond to 3 days or they'll send someone, unless if it's really urgent.

Find another PM, tenant can get over their grievance.

20. wylie

I'd be really furious about this one. I'd try to get the tenant or PM to pay for this call out. What a complete waste of time and money. :mad: